Any use for 1/2W Carbon Composition Resistors

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
I've come across a nearly full E24 set of 1/2W Carbon comp resistors. I understand these have some shortcomings in terms of long term stability, so I'm debating whether to keep them around. I also have a fair number of CC power resistors.

I really can't think of many applications for my personal use, is there any use for these any more? Any kind of market for them? (like for nostalgic electronics repair)?

Don't want to add to the black hole of stuff I keep that I'll never use.

Thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It would be interesting to sample them and report back on what your findings were.

I had some 1% mil-spec carbon comp. resistors that were hermetically sealed in foil & plastic pouches in 1968 that were left over from a project I did in the 70's that I opened up and tested a few years ago. I was somewhat surprised at how far they had shifted; the resistance was always more than the resistors were marked; from roughly 5% over to in excess of 200% of what they were supposed to be - even though they had been unused/sealed for 40 years.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Might be worth tossing up on EBay and see if anyone bites. Otherwise CC resistors are just horrible things and their passing is not to be mourned.

My last place had some DOD contracts where we were firmly directed "no substitutions," including the now obsolete CC resistors. There are houses out there that collect obsolete stuff to resell and we had to buy from them. Values had drifted way out of tolerance to the point the sellers would not accept returns for any reason, even if that reason is the 1.0K 10% resistor was reading 2.0K.

So there is still a small but dwindling market. Maybe someone who thinks the colors are pretty will buy them to make bracelets like an ex of mine did.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Well,
I didn't know this at all. ...and it's a good thing to know if you hope your project is going to perform for many years to come. Maybe this thread will be the straw that broke the camel's back!

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
It would be interesting to see on average how far off they are at this point. They were not stored in optimal conditions. I've played with a few of the 1/4W, they had drifted about 10% high.

Although that may not seem bad, I have a real concern as I've heard they absorb moisture, and upon soldering, can have a large permanent shift in resistance. Sounds like a recipe for many headaches over some cheap resistors.

I may see what I can find, I'd hate to throw them all out by principle.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Just to make sure people know what we're talking about, the carbon composition resistors we're referring to have a cylindrical body, and are frequently a dark brown in overall color; like this:

Carbon film resistors are not prone to changing resistance; it's easy to tell the difference by the "dumbbell" shape:

I had some carbon film resistors I'd bought 20 years ago; they are still measuring within tolerance.

The one thing that carbon film resistors are really good for, is that the high-value resistors are very frequently used as forms for winding inductors. When used as such, any change in resistance would be of very little significance.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Carbon composition make good inductors. I saw the drift Wookie is talking about, even when new the act of soldering would shift them substantially.

Something Forrest M. Mims III made a point that many circuits don't need precision though, a lot of electronics is surprisingly immune to tolerances. You have to judge the application, because a lot of times it ain't so.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I found about 1000 of these locked away in an old cabinet at work. Judging by their appearance and the age of the other things in the cabinet I think they are from the late 70's/early 80's. So far every one of them I have measured has been within tolerance.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Our company has used the CC resistors for years in their attenuators for RF.
They where mounted with a couple in parallel for more power, as they where used for transmitters capable of RF pulses of 1 kW.

Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I tend to stock 1KΩ more than most resistors. If it isn't critical then around 1KΩ is a good value, not too high current but substantial enough for most LEDs and transistors.

If you use the resistors for inductor cores you want higher resistance values, starting 10KΩ, preferably more.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Fourty years ago, many easy repairs on vacuum tube TV's happened because any CC resistor over 1 meg would be a good suspect. One TV had a 10 meg in the RF AGC line. You could almost fix this one over the phone.

Now, carbon film resistors are not suspect. I have some 1% carbon films from 1973 and all of them are still in spec.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The repairs I loved (not) were the hairline cracks. The wires would keep the resistors in place, looking normal. If you were really lucky it would make intermittent contact.

Come to think of it I don't think I've seen that from carbon films.