Any suggestions for this pcb layout?

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
I have laid out the attached pcb but I'm not sure about how I'm going to connect Track 1 to pin 1. I was hoping to make this pcb using 1 layer but I think I may need 2 layers with a via.

I have never designed a pcb before and I'm looking for some advise. I have instructions on how to make a single sided pcb using a copper clad pcb, a printer, iron, hydrogen peroxide etc but if I need to use 2 layers I'm not sure how I will go about it.

Attachments

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Where are the other connections to all the components. you have a lot of parts with only one trace and a pad with no trace. See C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C8, C9, and R4. there may be more problems but that was just a quick glance from this tiny phone display.
You could run you trace up underneath the IC with some minor adjustments in placing of the resistors. Remember that you may also go under a resistor by putting in horizontal instead of vertical.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
There are a lot of issues with this PCB design. Keep the traces as short as possible. Note the wire coming off the top of R3--Why is it pushed so far to the right?

Avoid 90-degree angles. Use 45-degree corners only.

Track 1 could go to the left of the component that is on the left side of C10 and R5 (just to the right of C1 and C2). Run it up beneath U1 to Pin 1.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
manual layout is an art and many many iterations are required to achieve a simple single layer solution. you have a small number of components and a one sided layout IS possible if you have the endurance to persist. sometimes, something as simple as a swap between two components position will fix a problem area

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
Yeah I will persist with this. I was using eagle but designspark has the exact components with the right dimensions apart from the inductor which I was advised to use by coilcraft. So I need a way of creating the right pad sizes and distances between them.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Since you're new to this (and undecided on software) I recommend checking out DipTrace. The free (for hobby use) version is fairly powerful and I like the interface and learning curve far better than anything else I've tried. Don't know if it includes your components, but it has a pretty solid parts library and it's also easy to make custom parts for.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yep, true dat. But I expect there is an unintentional connection in the image so I connected to the mass the TS indicated.