Any simulation software for circuits that can do multiple air core transformers?

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by zero_coke, Jan 28, 2013.

1. zero_coke

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 22, 2009
    I need a circuit simulator which can get me the voltage and current at any point in a 4-coil transformer setup. So basically I have 4 coils which are linked to each other and they are all non-ideal air-core transformers. I need to get the voltage induced in each coil and the current running through them.

No one knows??

Anyone can help me on this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Why won't LTSpice work for you?

zero_coke and Brownout like this.
  3. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    I don't know how to model it ...that's my issue. How can I model 2 set of transformers all together?

So i have: Coil #1 & Coil #2 --> Inductively coupled
    Coil #2 & Coil #3 --> Resonant coupled
    Coil #3 & Coil #4 --> Inductively coupled

I want to model this in some simulation software so that when I give it an input to coil #1 I want to know what I receive on coil #4 (and so on for coil #2 & coil #3 but mainly the load coil which is coil #4).

4. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    With LTspice (and probably any other spice), you would have to know mutual coupling coefficients.

zero_coke likes this.
  5. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Ron beat me to it but in LTSpice a transformer is modeled as a pair of inductors with a defined coupling coefficient. Join the LTSpice Yahoo group and ask the wizards there how to do it. You'll be inundated with answers.

zero_coke likes this.
  6. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    Edit: This simulator is terrible...its so hard to use...is there a more intuitive one where you can just drag and drop components instead of having to type in stuff for every component?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  7. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    What simulator?

8. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    If you think LTSpice isn't intuituve, you'll really be disappointed in other simulations.

9. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    I like Multisim, it's very nice but I don't see any air-core transformers in the component library where I can specify the coupling coefficients and mutual inductances....darn it!

10. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    zero_coke likes this.
  11. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    you saved me once again Brownout, thanks ! I had Multisim v11 installed and it doesn't have these components in the library.