Any Recommended Arduino Wi-Fi Shield ?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by MohamedMokhtar, Jun 28, 2016.

1. MohamedMokhtar

Thread Starter New Member

May 9, 2016
    Hi all, I am looking for an Arduino Wi-Fi Shield that can set the Arduino as a Server, can you recommend me a particular one ?(a link to where i can get it would be greatly appreciated)

thanks for your time :)

2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
  3. MohamedMokhtar

May 9, 2016
  4. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Just looking at them and I notice that Gowoops does not have sd card reader. I start to wonder how you going to store server files if you use Gowoops shield. So Gowoops is 22 USD, but then you need to buy sd card reader. They do have some documentation, which is good to have. The documentation does not say what kind of encryption they use for wifi signal.

The Generic CC3000 has sd card reader, but I don't see any links to documentation or which wifi chip it is using. Ah. Found a bunch of CC3000 boards from Adafruit and SparkFun. I guess use their documentation and libraries. So. CC3000 can not create its own network (be access point), but it can join existing network.

5. MohamedMokhtar

May 9, 2016
    i really don't need a SD card reader , there will be no files to store i just want to recieve a request from a client and switch on/off some digital pins depending on the message with the request, however i found this pretty cheap ESP8266-12 Module, it seems to be able to set the arduino as a server but i am wondering why so many people go for relatively expensive shields instead ?

6. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    I have no idea. Ask at arduino forums.

It sounds like ESP8266 is what you need.

MohamedMokhtar likes this.
  7. MohamedMokhtar

May 9, 2016
    Ok good :)

many thanks for your time and concern