Any pro telephone installers here?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by electronewb, Apr 15, 2013.

1. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Here's the deal I want to get DSL internet in my house but ISP wholesaler cannot see my modem in my house so that's when I started digging up. At the demarc box I can see the cable with the Red, Green, Black and Yellow as far as I know Red/Green is line 1 usually the voice line and the Black and Yellow pair is the second line usually use for modem, fax machines etc.... The black and yellow pair is not hooked up outside the house and also not hooked up to anything inside the house. Do I need to call a Bell tech to get that hooked up or with some time and patience I would eventually figure it out? I just want to make sure that I'm on the right track so far

2. vk6zgo

Jul 21, 2012
    I'm not sure how the rules work in your country,but in Australia,we aren't allowed to do any DIY work on the fixed comms wiring.

The usual thing here is that you report the problem to the ISP,who send out their own contractor to test from your end & from the Exchange end of the Phone company's line.

If they find a problem,it is then passed to the Phone company,who,if they find their line is OK,& the fault is in your domestic cabling,will charge a fee for an "Incorrect callout".

Normal practice in this country is to share a common line between your normal phone (POTS),& the DSL service,so if you are getting the
    phone OK,you at least know that the line is there--it may still have problems with DSL,but at least it's a starting point!

I suggest you just pretend you are a normal non-technical user,& Google for "DSL problems"----you will probably be overwhelmed!!

3. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Here in Canada as far as I know there's no rules regarding DIY as long as it's past the demarc box. What I'm wondering now is if the ISP has to install a filter right after the demarc point inside the house. That I don't have.

4. PatM

Dec 31, 2010
    You don't need a second line.
    If you already have telephone service there are no other wires required.
    I originally had DSL which required filters at each telephone inside the home to separate the DSL signals from the normal phone.
    This was a pain and caused unnecessary noise on the line.
    A telephone tech then removed those filters and installed a filter at the entrance with a dedicated line to the computer.
    This work is not for someone who doesn't have the proper test equipment to assure a good signal.
    Doing it yourself is not a good idea and requires a tech with proper equipment to monitor signal quality.

5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I don't think you need a tech or any special equipment, at least for the first go. But other than that I can verify what PatM said. Normally, your DSL line is shared with your normal phone. They are frequency multiplexed so you need a filter to separate the two. Normally the filters kill the DSL signal and let the voice signal through. When you buy a DSL modem they usually assume that you only have access to the end-user jacks, and hence they have you install a separate filter at each phone. But if you have access to your wiring, you can get upstream as far as you can and install a single filter to split your wiring into two nets - one with the DSL and one without. Put all of your phones on the net without. When I installed mine I was lucky in that the jack that I wanted my DSL modem at also happened to be the first jack inside the demarc, so I just did a bit of rewiring at that jack by installing a two-jack plate with the filter between them and the wiring from the demarc going to the first jack, then through the filter to the second and on to the rest of the house. Worked like a charm. Plus, when I sold the house, it was trivially easy to undo.

6. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Thanks guys. So what are the yellow and black wires for than? I asked a buddy of mine and same thing at his end the black and yellow wires are just hanging at the demarc box outside of his house.

7. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Normally every residential service drop has a four wire cable with two twisted pairs in it to support two phones. I'm not sure on the origin of this, but it goes way back to before I was a kid. I'm guessing someone did an analysis at some point and concluded that the likelihood that a given house would need two lines at some point was high enough to make it so that running a slightly more expensive cable from the neighborhood box (can't recall what it is called) to every home at install time was offset by not having to rerun wire for a second line in the future, especially since now you could market the notion of people getting a second line and point out how their house was already wired for it.

electronewb likes this.
  8. vk6zgo

Jul 21, 2012
    Plus 2 pair cables are nearly as cheap as single pair ,anyway,& you can carry less inventory.

The other big selling point is that if the lead in from the pit has one pair damaged,there is a spare right there.
    They did this at my place & it fixed my problem for a while,till the second pair failed & they had to replace the whole run,as they should have done to start with.

9. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    But what's the reason of not connecting the yellow and black wires?

10. poopscoop

Dec 12, 2012
    As a general rule, anything requiring a buried cable will be buried with a back-up. Cables fail for seemingly no reason more often than you'd think. I watched a generator mechanic sweat half to death installing 2x 200amp cables, and sure enough one cable went bad 1 month later.

11. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Connect them to what? You only have one line.