Any of our Texas Friends...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Brownout, May 26, 2015.

1. Brownout

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Watching Texas Rising on History? What do you think of it so far?

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Power was out for most of the day. Got it back about 3:00 pm. Forgot all about the series. Damn! I'm sure they will re-air episode one again, so I'll get it on DVR.
    Didn't make it to work today. Listened to the radio as I left the neighborhood this morning and heard about ALL of the main highway closings into town. Didn't really matter though, I couldn't even make it out of my little subdivision to reach any of the major traffic lanes into Houston. First puddle I came across went over my headlights and I stopped and reversed it out of there. Spent a long hot humid day in the house, without food(fridge was not running) or coffee(don't have gas range, its electric). Wishing all day my twelve year old battery bank / inverter system wasn't twelve years old and wondering if I should get the generator out and fire it up. Been stored for about three years without starting. This was a wake up call to get prepared for such things a lot better than I was this time around.

Did you mean Texas Flood rising, or that cool new mini-series about Texas Independence! :)

nsaspook and Brownout like this.
  3. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    I called home to tell them when you pray for years for the drought to end and someone finally answers the call, don't complain about it. :(

I'll have to skim the series. Growing up in Texas we had more Texas history classes than USA history classes so I don't think they will cover much new ground.

4. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I grew up in Texas too. The series fills in a lot of context, if you are to believe the producers, and I do.

5. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Texas Rising

Looks like fun, will have to program the DVR for later.

6. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Never knew the history behind the song, "Yellow Rose of Texas". This series shows it.

Who is the "crazy" guy killing all the Mexican soldiers? Was a survivor of Alamo.

7. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Yes. He was thought to be dead, and thrown into a mass grave. But he crawled out before being buried, and escaped.

8. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    It's not the first or last time a Honey Pot' has turned the tide of battle. 'Yellow' is a term still used in Texas for mixed race people of light skin. The term we used as kids for a pretty light skin girl was 'yellow hammer' or 'yellow bone' for mixed Indian, Creole or Asian in our case.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  9. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    In this part of the woods it was "high yellow". Since political correctness only used by people of my parents generation or older. Song makes sense in that context, just never knew that's what it was about. Will probably not be allowed to be sung in grade school now that the "secret" is out.

10. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Haven't heard a name for him though.

11. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    shortbus likes this.
  12. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    http://www.history.com/shows/texas-rising/cast/lorca
    Don't know if there was a real one. Maybe a little license being taken.

Also this:

Read more: http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/collection/the-true-story-behind-texas-rising-20150520#ixzz3bO39a5Wt
    Follow us: @mensjournal on Twitter | MensJournal on Facebook

shortbus likes this.
  13. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    I'm shocked, shocked to hear that Hollywood would do something like that. There's always the 'crazed' veteran blinded by a lust for blood to kill his pain. Heavy sigh.

shortbus likes this.
  14. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Cheer up, although there is some license taken, there is a reasonable measure of truth to be found in the program.

15. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    I'll watch and enjoy it but 'Texas history' like most history is in the eye of the writers and intended audience. A lot of the real Texas history is buried in the bones of people who never learned to read or write and was passed down to generations as tales told after supper to their grandkids who could.

JohnInTX and shortbus like this.