Any modern Navy here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by maxpower097, May 25, 2012.

1. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I was watching a strange news show and it said a Cat was awarded the medal of honor in like WWI or an old war by keeping rats on the ship away from the food supply while the ship was under seige. This made me think. Are cats allowed aboard big aircraft carriers or big ships in the navy anymore? Rats must get onboard from the building phase to climbing up the ropes its docked by. What do they do about insects and rats aboard modern navy vessels?
    This is just a pure curiosity.
    Thanks

2. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    You might be interested in reading the story of Lance Corporal William Windsor, 25232301.

3. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    You crazy brits. :cool:

My dad has 40+ years in the Norwegian Navy, and I've never heard him talk about cats and rats on ships. I've heard lots of other stories, one about how they "dived" with this.
    [​IMG]

The whole ship was under water, and there was about 1 meter water inside. The glasses on the bridge was smashed in, and it was complete chaos. One of the engine guys came to dad. He was a quiet, dependable guy, and said: "I turned on the bilge pump, chief."

The second in command said that all guys were OK. "Have you touched all of them", asked dad. "No", replied the Second in command. "Well, go again!"

Luckily it all went well.

4. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Sounds like a Chief.

nerdegutta likes this.
  5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Never had cat or rat problems on the sub. I brought a pidgeon onboard once, tha'ts the only non-human visitor I was ever aware of. Apparently bed bugs are a bad problem on subs. We never had any, but everybody was always overly worried about it.

maxpower097 likes this.
  6. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    According to international rules, amongst many, vessels are required to have a properly endorsed "deratting certificate". In old times it used to be issued when the vessel was actually fumigated using a gas similar (if not the same) as the one used to execute people in a chamber.

Vessel had to be vacated, and the team in charge planned the operation for dropping the tablets in such a way to be not trapped in their way out.

After 48 hours, the vessel was carefully ventilated. The awful outcome was the rats dying in impossible places. Imagine the smell and the pain to eliminate them. Been there, done that.

In the last years I could see it is quite common to have those certificates endorsed as an exemption, based usually, on an inspection.

Rat guards (disk inserted around the mooring lines) are supposed to be a good deterrent to rats. Even seamen do not know if they are to avoid local rats going on board or the oposite. In fact it works both ways.

I could tell stories about rats on board but find them disgusting even today.

There is a story, maybe a legend, in one of our aircraft carrier where cats were replaced by ferrets because those became ineffective. Legend says that later these became THE plague.

Cockroaches: they could be found evreywhere. Even in chambers with very low temperatures.

I was in vessels where the pets were cats but I suspect they did not chase anything other than food they could get at the kitchen.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
    maxpower097 likes this.
  7. MBVet05

Jul 21, 2011
    I served onboard 4 modern aircraft carriers in my 20 years in the U.S. Navy and never once saw a cat on any of them. Most modern vessls use what is called "rat lines" to help stop vermin from climbing aboard via the dock lines. These "rat lines" are simply metal cones tied to the mooring line at the dockside to prevent the rats or other vermin from getting onto the lines. They look like those funny cones you put on your dog when you don't want him scratching his ears. (only much bigger).

maxpower097 likes this.
  8. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Thanks for the replies.

9. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Rat diodes.

10. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    @ Ron H. ,I like that winter outfit,you look like you are ready for anything

and having fun. Rats pulling your dog sled.

11. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Yeah, we had fun that night. We were visiting our daughter and her family, who live in Carmel, CA. We walked to a restaurant for dinner, including a few libations :p. On our way back to their house, we stepped into a hat shop. There were 7 of us, and we were all clowning around. Probably drove the shopkeeper nuts, although I suspect he was used to it.
    The original picture also had my granddaughter in it.
    And yes, the rats pulled our sled back home.:eek:

Sorry for hijacking the thread, maxpower.:(

12. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    This is a Art Deco building detail of ratline cones.
    http://flic.kr/p/SQzDg

I watched rats climb right up the accom ladder in port overseas while anchored close to shore. They would swim out to meet us. We had rats (and traps) everywhere in the brown-water Navy because the marines coming back from a mission would bring them back in the gear.

http://www.hullnumber.com/crew_photo.php?cp=LPH-3.image.1009981.jpg
    [​IMG]

13. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    @ Max, we just stole a great story waiting to be told,once the question was asked.

Great family story and max enjoys good stories too,just watch his post,he's

better than A/P for news. Sorry guys,rat on.