Any Knowledge Would Be Highley Appreciated I Have 2 Questions Regarding Rectification

Mikey91

Joined Mar 29, 2016
1) Potential effects the use of rectifiers has on AC circuits?
2) considerations required when designing AC circuits when rectifiers are installed.

any help would be really appreciated, its something I cannot find and good source explaining clearly.

thanks

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Sounds like homework questions.

The term "AC circuits" covers a lot of ground and a lot of different types of circuits that do a lot of different kinds of things. Also, a lot depends on how these unspecified rectifiers are used with regard to these unspecified AC circuits.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It is exactly that, that's why the questions are not very specific in regards to AC circuits. :(
The question is probably being asked in the context of the types of AC circuits you have been exposed to, which we can't even guess. So what kinds of AC circuits have you been studying?

Mikey91

Joined Mar 29, 2016
The unit we are studying is motors and rectification.

The question is written as explain the potential effects that the use of rectifiers has on AC circuits and supplies: and considerations required when designing electrical circuits when rectifiers are installed.

thanks for the moving of this post, i am new to this.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Here are some considerations when using rectifiers to generate DC from AC:
Half-wave or full-wave.
Peak current from AC supply drawn by the diodes (which requires derating of a transformer supplying the AC).
DC ripple voltage versus output current (size of filter capacitor).
Diode voltage and current rating.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Also for the most part capacitive smoothing is not usually required with DC motor's and other inductive devices.
If such as PWM control is used, then a smoothed supply is desirable.
There are also SCR bridge and Triac control of DC motor where capacitive smoothing is not required.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is also of course, 3phase rectification where the ripple frequency is higher that single phase and the percentage of ripple a few % as opposed to 1ph rectification where it is 100% ripple.
Max.