Any help or guidance would be appreciated

maxster03

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Hi Everyone,

Let me first start by thanking you for trying to help.

Okay, I am currently working on a project which is to design a virtual sound barrier by using microphone and speakers. To put it in easy words, I am trying to cancel out noise by creating the same sound in amplitude but in 180 degree phase shift.

I have to design a circuit board which should amplify the sound and phase shift it in 180 degrees. I know how to do the amplification but I am not sure how I can phase shift it 180 degree. Also if you can let me know if it is possible to make it for 2 channels (i.e for 2 speakers).

I would really appreciate it. Any kind of help, documentation or theory is welcomed.

Thank you

With Regards,
Max

maxster03

Joined Feb 19, 2009
would a Inverting Amplifier stage also work on a audio signal (sorry for asking such a dumb question, just wanted to confirm it)

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Assuming you have identical speakers and identical signal channel gains, sound cancellation should theoretically occur at a 'sweet' point equi-distant from both speakers. However, since speakers have divergent sound patterns the sound will reflect from nearby objects and prevent perfect cancellation even at the sweet point. Elsewhere there will be little or no cancellation; there will even be sound boosting where waves combine constructively. Can you live with that? If not, could you use headphones instead of speakers, to overcome the reflection problem?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Basically you are trying to create the effect of noise-cancelling headphones in a room. Two things.

#1, in a room you will not get the effect you want over a large area. There will in fact be a sweet spot, but unless the offending noise is way over there and the area you want to quiet is way over here, reflections will severly reduce the cancellation effect.

But the fun part is #2 - you do not have to build anything, add an inverting stage, or do anything special to the amplifier. Just reverse the connections to the speaker and the phase of the produced audio will be reversed (shifted 180 degrees).

Try it with your home stereo. Listen to something you know well that has a full stereo image, then reverse the connections to one speaker only and listen again.

ak