any 2 out of 3 inputs provide an output

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by kray89, Aug 24, 2008.

1. kray89

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hi,can anyone help me with a circuit design?

I need to build a circuit which has 3 inputs and one output. When any 2 inputs are activated there will be an output. I would prefer to build it with transistors although this is not essential.

The inputs are volt free (from relay contacts) and the output will drive a small relay(12vdc)

Thank you in anticipation,
    Keith.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    OK, what do you mean by 'volt free'? Do you mean the connections are open/floating?

How about if you get three inputs activated?

Please define "activated" - is that open circuit, 0v, or a certain voltage level?

3. kray89

Aug 24, 2008
    Thanks for your prompt reply!

I should have said if one out of three inputs are activated then no output. if any two or all three inputs are activated then there is an output.
    By volt free I mean relay contacts closing as a switch. but I can trigger the inputs any way you like!

Regards, Keith.

4. kammenos

Aug 3, 2008
    I really cannot get what you mean. Let;s take it from the start:

You have 3 inputs
    When all are 0, the output is 0

When one input is 1, the output goes 1

A truth table like below:

A B C | Q
    0 0 0 0
    0 0 1 1
    0 1 0 1
    0 1 1 1
    1 0 0 1
    1 0 1 1
    1 1 0 1
    1 1 1 1

Did i got it right?

And the output will be a relay?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I think it's more like:
    A B C Q
    0 0 0 0
    0 0 1 0
    0 1 0 0
    0 1 1 1
    1 0 0 0
    1 0 1 1
    1 1 0 1
    1 1 1 1
    Three 2-input AND gates and a 3-input OR gate would be a brute-force way to get it done.

6. kray89

Aug 24, 2008
    Hi again, thanks for your reply, the truth table looks right to me. Where can I obtain a schematic so that I can attempt to build this circuit? and would it be possible to build it with switching transistors?

Thanks again, Keith.

7. kray89

Aug 24, 2008
    Hi, thanks for your reply and I apologise for not making myself clear.
    I'll try again. I've got 3 seperate sensors each output being normally open relay contacts. I need to build a circuit where the output switches a 12vdc relay when 2 or 3 inputs are applied but no output when only 1 of the 3 inputs is applied. I would like to build with transistors but if the only way is to build with I.C's so be it.

It is to be used on a 3 boiler alarm panel - if 1 boiler breaks down then no alarm is sent but if 2 or 3 boilers break down it's a major problem and an alarm needs to be activated.

Thanks again, Keith.

8. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    One could indeed build it with transistors, or with diodes. Less soldering would be required if ICs were used, though. It could also be done with relays.

9. kray89

Aug 24, 2008
    Thanks for your reply. Where could I get a circuit diagram to build this device?
    I have tried to build it with multipole relays but failed miserably!! Please can anyone show me the way?

Regards, Keith.

10. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Give the attached a shot.
    A,B,C inputs are 0v for false (off), 12v for true (on).

[ETA] Note that if your relay will require more than 500mA through the coil, you'll need more heavy-duty transistors for Q7 through Q9.

[eta] For a relay-only solution, see my next reply.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  11. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    This one may be a bit easier for you; only three SPDT relays.

The relays are the AND part; the wired-together outputs of the N.O. contacts is the OR part.

There might be an easier way to do it; but can't think of one offhand.

[eta] Updated schematic so that each input drives a single relay coil while also being switched through another relays' contacts.

[eta] Note: in the schematic, 0v actually means "no connection", or simply the absense of 12v. Applying a ground or 0v would cause problems; eg shorts between ground and 12v at the junction near the OUT connector.

[eta] The last schematic has diodes added to prevent a short in case the inputs are being switched between 12v and ground.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I would have used diodes myself. I don't recall seeing AND gates using transistors quite that way, but whatever works.

13. kray89

Aug 24, 2008
    Thanks for the schematic, I eagerly await the relay only option - you are good!!

Regards, Keith.

14. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, diodes could've been used for the 3-input OR gate, but the idea there was if our OP needed more than 500mA for driving a relay coil, swapping out those three transistors would be a lot easier than replacing the front-end six transistors.

The three SPDT relay option would be the easiest thing to build, though - and our OP may already have those parts on hand.

15. kray89

Aug 24, 2008
    I built the circuit with the relay option - worked like a dream!!! can't thank you enough for your time, trouble and knowledge.

Regards, Keith

16. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Glad that worked out for ya ;) Don't be a stranger! :D