Antique words and phrases

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The daisy wheel typewriters are already electrical.
We still do have a mechanical typewriter laying around here.

Bertus

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Seems archaic - but apparently not...
I was teaching a college student how to use Excel (mac version). After entering a formula, I told him to press the RETURN KEY. He had no idea what I was talking about. I explained that the ENTER key used to be a carriage return on old electric typewriters. Then I looked at his keyboard - and apple claims to be trendy...

image.jpg

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
May already have been done.
Scope hood.
The thing you used to put on an analog scope to keep the light out so you could see a single trace.
I think I still have a crease in my forehead from one.
Reminds me of another word.

Polaroid

And what what the Polaroid camera you attached to the front of a scope to capture a trace?

VGA

And the boxes you would attach to the VGA output of your PC that had a 35mm camera in the box to make slides?

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
Overhead projectors.
Overhead projectors are still common in schools. Schools cannot afford VGA projectors for the presentation from the students and the overhead projectors are already there. After all, you can print your presentation and photocopy them to clear sheets inexpensively.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Oh and I was mistaken about VGA. I guess it is still around. What was the technology before VGA? There was monochrome monitors and there was color. What was the original interface for color called?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Overhead projectors are still common in schools. Schools cannot afford VGA projectors for the presentation from the students and the overhead projectors are already there. After all, you can print your presentation and photocopy them to clear sheets inexpensively.
The last two school districts I was in had these in every classroom in the district. I guess that some school districts spend their money more wisely than our local districts.

http://www.prometheanworld.com/us/english/education/products/interactive-whiteboard-systems/

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
CGA, EGA, VGA.
Max.

Great memory there Max. I sort of thought it was CGA. Forgot all about EGA. I remember now when it first came out and was "blown awat" by the graphics quality.

Like when Compaq came out with the Deskpro at 7.14 MHz. What a speed demon! :) It blew the PC away!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

My first PC was a clone.
It had an 8086 running at 10 Mhz with an 8087 math co-processor, 1 Mb memory, a harddisk of 32 Mbytes, a CGA card.
Later I bought a VGA card with a NEC Multisync II monitor.

Bertus