Anti-Laser

bribri

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Nope, I don't remember any stealth bomber being shot down. Have you got a link?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_F-117_Nighthawk#Combat_losses
The F-117 is primarily a ground-attack aircraft so its "F" designation is inconsistent with the DoD system, but it is an inconsistency that has been repeatedly employed by the U.S. Air Force with several of its ground attack aircraft since the late 1950s (i.e., F-105, F-111, etc.).

It's appropriate to end up with an "anti-thread" when you try to talk about an "anti-laser". :rolleyes:
haha.
but yeah, interesting anti-laser. is it a destructive interference thing?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have disabled a laser by shining a second laser down the aperture. Both were HeNe lasers. As soon as I removed the second laser the first came back up. I was disrupting the oscillation somehow.

Interesting thing about lasers, a LASER (if you look at the acronym) is really just an amplifier. We are so used to using it for oscillators people don't put much thought into it. One of the big developments in lightwave communications is the amplifier aspect though, a signal laser light is feed though a irbium doped fiber and is amplified 30 db, it goes in at safe optical levels, and leaves at dangerous levels requiring eye protection.