Anti-cancer hat

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cmartinez, Jan 8, 2015.

1. cmartinez

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Very interesting article about new techniques for brain cancer treatment:

"It is designed for people with glioblastoma to wear for 18 hours a day, while military-grade ceramic transducers within the hat pulse alternating electrical fields into the brain. These fields interfere with the protein framework that's essential for cell division, preventing the replication of malignant tumour cells, which divide far more often than healthy adult cells."

I wonder how complex the electronics of this device might be.
  2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012

That shouldn't be too difficult for the brain since brain cells don't divide. You might get a terrible case of dry skin as the skin dies and stops replicating though.
  3. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    how about microwave emitters on the walls for heating? the high frequency will prevent canceer cells from dividing!!
  4. GaryCole

Jan 6, 2015
    Interesting article, a lot of new I found for myself
  5. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Cynically, I wonder if the electronics are as complex as this device?
  6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    The meat of the study is described rather late in the link (Kaplan-Meier survival plot):

Inhibitors of cell division are not new in the treatment of cancer. Even the ancient drug colchicine ( has been investigated for its efficacy in treating various cancers. Whether this device actually inhibits cell replication does not seem to be shown.

Edit: I forgot to say that Optune was not the sole therapy. It was used in addition to BSC.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  7. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    normal healthy adult humans are continuously developing cancer cells in various parts of their bodies. also a surprising large amount of our normal diet are foods which contain naturally occuring cancer causing chemicals.
    Cancer and a persons freedom from it are a common myth. 99.9% of being cancer free is in having a normal healthy immune system. That one thing is responsible for destroying the constantly occuring growth of cancer cells in all healthy adults.
  8. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Certain chemicals increase the statistical cancer cases thats a fact.

If you inhale mercury all day, have a bungalow with asbestos and lead paint that is grilled by heat, and eat junk food all day and handle PCB oils every day on your job + work in your basement on the weekend which emits radon, overdo it with ozone generators in each room, you'll very likely get a kind of cancer at some point of time.

Governments of course are paranoid of just one kind even if it is just present somehow, so a trace of lead in some paint that is never touched, needs a sanitation team to roll out and decontaminate the area.
    The limits are set so even 1/100 is too much.

Some researchers who made x-ray tubes actually got cancer pretty quick, same as radium dial factory workers.
    Commodore CSG had a large tank in the basement where they stored chemical waste, there are rumours at some point of time it started to leak, thats how it often goes, so there's ROHS now and all sort of guidelines, if you make one solder joint in the educational institution you are barred to do so unless the instructor switches on the solder vapour sucking system for the whole room, doesnt have the key, make a solder joint, get dismissed for the rest of the day.