antenna mismatch!

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
what is antanne mismatch!how to solve this mismatch!
guys can a transmitter be connected directly to a di-pole antanna!
aj_silverthunder,

Google is your friend; I googled "Antenna Mismatch" just for kicks and found several great resources in an instant. Next time, try and exert some effort and research your questions on your own, then if you have remaining questions you can ask the forum.

Consider an RF transceiver and a isotropic antenna (theoretical antenna; doesn't actually exist-google it!). Since we have an "isotropic" antenna, there is theoretically no mismatch between our transceiver and antenna. A mismatch occurs when the impedance of the RF transceiver and the antenna doesn't match (usually they should both have an impedance of 50Ω) and there is too high of an SWR (Standing Wave Ratio-always want a 1:1 match; google it!). So for our application we may assume the RF transceiver has an impedance of 50Ω and so does the isotropic antenna. We may also assume that the SWR is 1:1. Since an isotropic antenna is ideally the "perfect" antenna, those matching conditions won't come to a perfect match; thus, you have a mismatch. Actually, a mismatch is generally referred to being a significant mismatch. In other words, if my antenna impedance were 56Ω and my SWR was 1:2, then we can say the antenna is matched. But, if I have an antenna impedance of 82Ω and an SWR of 1:3.4, then you can definitely say that we have a mismatch occuring-and quite a big one at that!

That's quite a mouthful, but I'm sure you'll soak it in. ;)

Austin

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Actually, a mismatch is generally referred to being a significant mismatch. In other words, if my antenna impedance were 56Ω and my SWR was 1:2, then we can say the antenna is matched. But, if I have an antenna impedance of 82Ω and an SWR of 1:3.4, then you can definitely say that we have a mismatch occuring-and quite a big one at that!
Hi Austin,

For a 50Ω system I think the VSWR with a 56Ω load would be 1.12:1 and with a 82Ω load it would be 1.64:1.

Rgds,

t_n_k

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Hi Austin,

For a 50Ω system I think the VSWR with a 56Ω load would be 1.12:1 and with a 82Ω load it would be 1.64:1.

Rgds,

t_n_k
I do believe your correct, t_n_k. ;) Thank you very much for your comment, I'm glad you brought that to my awareness. In truth, I wasn't quite sure how to calculate that, but your explanation does make sense.

Austin

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I do believe your correct, t_n_k. ;) Thank you very much for your comment, I'm glad you brought that to my awareness. In truth, I wasn't quite sure how to calculate that, but your explanation does make sense.

Austin
Hi Austin,

It's fairly simple really ....

VSWR=(ZL/Zo):1

Rgds,

t_n_k