Answer this!!

sby64

Joined Sep 29, 2012
You need to supply some context. The thread (at least the last page of it) has been about order of operations. You are only giving a single operation unless you are using the equals sign as an operator, in which case you have to define the syntax in use.

If you are talking about the issue of integer division, then you again need to specify the context.
Yes you guessed it right. Equals sign is the only operator and the context is missing. Providing context means providing the solution. The first time when I solved a similar problem and arrived at the mathematically correct solution, I was told it is a statistical question. 6 out of 12, 5 out of 10 and so on may have the equal ratio but they are not otherwise equal and that turned out to be true in almost all the situations even in electronics.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
These questions have only popped up since symbolic calculators have been common.

Not all of them do the correct order of operations, the Casio VPAM and some Ti calculators would give the answer as 64, while doing it by hand or with a proper order of operations results in 36.

I believe teachers have been putting questions like this on tests to see if the students have actually learned anything, or are simply relying on their calculators. When they get their test back, the make a big whine post on the internet with a photo of their calculator showing the solution and saying the Teacher Was Wrong. :rolleyes: