Another low voltage hot neutral question

NorthGuy

Joined Jun 28, 2014
Well ... I'm glad I took the wire nut off and got an up close look ... but I don't think it was affecting my circuit since I was able to completely disconnect it from the neutral bar and still test positive for continuity between neutral and ground (at the switch).
You mean the "nut" wasn't even on the path? Then I bet it was a connection to the bus bar. Hope it'll work now for few days :)

Whoever did this "nut", didn't have a proper tool to strip isolation. Probably wasn't an electrician. I don't think the isolation between wires would cause problems because it still would conduct through the "nut".

drchance2014

Joined Jul 31, 2014
You mean the "nut" wasn't even on the path? Then I bet it was a connection to the bus bar. Hope it'll work now for few days :)
That's correct. I was able to verify this nut was not on the path. Sorry if I said something that implied that ... originally I focused on it because ... it was a stinkin' nut wire nut on a neutral wire in the breaker box ... and that would be an easy answer to my problem.

I'm hoping you're correct that cinching down the screws on the bus bar somehow made a better connection with the neutral wire. I really cannot tell which white wire is paired with my hot (black wire) in the breaker box. All of the sheathing is beyond that conduit hole ... I can't make out any pairs except for a couple of wires on the top ... after that it gets dark and tight.

The bus bar is the only thing that makes sense ... there's nothing else between the switch junction and the circuit breaker.

Inwo mentioned just pulling another line. If this neutral bar doesn't fix it then that might be my next option.

drchance2014

Joined Jul 31, 2014
Well it's been almost 5 hours and the lights are still burning bright. Unbelievable. If things are the same tomorrow morning I'll kill the circuit and clean up those connections to the switches. I don't want anyone thinking I actually connected wires that way.:rolleyes:

Thanks again for all the help. I learned a tremendous amount of good information.

bladerunner

Joined Apr 15, 2012
Check out the switches, receptacles where the lamp is connected. In most cases you will find a loose neutral connection. A lot of people use the wire nuts to put two or more wires together without twisting them first. In fact the manufacturers instructions in most cases do not mention twisting the wires. This is very serious since most house fires that are caused by the wiring have a faulty neutral. If you light is a ceiling light, check out the wall switch.

Ironus

Joined Jan 21, 2015
Ok so I helped a co-worker with a similar problem once. most of the receptacles in his home read 32v ac. the lighting circuits and a couple receptacle circuits measured over 200v ac. I tore everything APART trying to diagnose his problem (including his ancient screw type fuse box that fed the house circuits.) Nothing was reading wrong until a load was applied anywhere in the house, when loaded everything went upside down. Long story short his service meter had faulted and it ruined most of his light bulbs and everything plugged into the high voltage receptacles. Hope my experience can help with maybe some insight.