Another LCD tv question

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
My 6 yr old Magnavox has some vertical streaks on the screen. One large one resembling curling smoke about 2/3 the way to the right, and several faint parallel ones to the left. Is it a simple fix? or not worth it? Works fine, and not too bad, just distracting. Saw a bigger Sanyo NIB at Wally World yesterday on clearance for $800, but figured we will keep this one till it fails.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Can you post a picture?

Since you mention that the streaks are not completely vertical, it's unlikely to be an issue with the LCD controller board. So it probably would involve a replacement panel, and that might cost more than the TV.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
IS this a flat screen,what is the model no. Are you able to take the back off
about 6 or 8 screws. You can observe with outout damage take some pictures.
Then put the back on and wait for more information. Try to take pictures without glare.
Purchase a can of freeze,If you use it spareing it will last ,this is a good tool for
T.V. repair,freeze the transistors and the modules on the video section. More
discussion about model and serial no before proceeding.Lines could be leakage
from a filter capacitor in power supply.Look for swelled capacitors in power supply.
Lines can be leakage of a/c into dc curcuits.The worst mistake you can make is
to start to change things without being sure. Another thing you want to have is
a static wirst band with ground clip. Most repairs are done from observation on the
new T.V.s.

Last edited:

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Sorry for the late reply, I work strange hours. Unfortunately, it's bolted to the wall and too heavy to move by myself...so no model # . Here is the pic. There are several parallel streaks to the left, just lighter...

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Do you mean the dark strike on the text "picture","sound","features","channel"?

It looks like these has been some pressure on the display.
The crystal structure may be changed at those spots.

Bertus

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
@ Bertus Yup, that's the worst one. The streaks appeared while it was on a table stand. I thought it might have gotten a lightning surge as my boilers motherboard was toasted at the same time period. You really see them with the light blue screen.

Not a big deal, I was more curious than willing to rip it apart. Thanks for the insights..