Another Idiot!

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Beheading is a swift death so I would be fine with that but since he is doing it for "sport" It wouldnt be fine anyway because he is killing a living being for fun. As I said I would love to see this guy on a battlefield with bullets buzzing over his head and with constant fear from arty. barrage ,I bet ya he wouldnt be looking for thrills anymore.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
What must've happened to you in your life to make you want to kill a beautiful animal & then lie next to it smiling?
As a kid a mink killed my favorite pet. Since then mink are on my kill on site whenever possible list and they only get a humane kill if I 'eff' up my shot. :mad:

My point being if I had reasons to hate Giraffes as much as I do mink, yea you bet I would lay by a dead one with a big grin too! :D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It's not legal if Animal is suffering for prolonged time because he couldn't get a proper hit. Idiots like him should be sent to war.
Being a javelin thrower doesnt make you into a hunter since anybody can hit a 50 yard wide field but not a vital organ.
Sounds like the bear died a lot quicker than it would have with most rifle shots.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Beheading is a swift death so I would be fine with that but since he is doing it for "sport" It wouldnt be fine anyway because he is killing a living being for fun. As I said I would love to see this guy on a battlefield with bullets buzzing over his head and with constant fear from arty. barrage ,I bet ya he wouldnt be looking for thrills anymore.
Are you trying to equate hunting to the experience of humans killing humans? The thrill of hunting is as natural as sex in (most) humans. I don't want to see sport hunting of endangered species as a way to get your jollies but a regulated harvest of plentiful animals is perfectly OK and is sometimes needed to reduce numbers near human population centers.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The bear was left over night which means there is no proof it died immediately. They found the body tomorrow some 150 yards from where it was hit, bear could been dying for few hours on the spot they found him.
It's not uncommon to have to track an animal for a mile or more even after a solid hit. Hell, I hit a deer with my truck hard enough that her ribs were shattered and she was thrown well down the road, yet she got up and ran off and I had to track her quite a bit further than 50 yards.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yet lots of hunters are combat vets. Kinda dispels that notion.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
because he is killing a living being for fun. A
So your objection isn't that it took too long for the bear to die but the bear died because someone wanted to hunt it?

Why don't you just say so up front, in stead of hiding behind this faux excuse?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Mile high view: I don't think it's reasonable to be upset about humans hunting animals. We've been doing it since before we were even modern humans. It's fine to not like it and to avoid doing it yourself, but no one should be surprised that other people will. It's like being mad that snakes exist. I don't like snakes, but it would be irrational for me to want them all to disappear. It's a waste of time to rail against reality.

It's only when we look closer at the details that certain hunting behaviors cross the line. Clubbing baby seals. Shooting ...anything... from a helicopter. Trapping without checking the traps routinely. Most of are revulsed by these unnatural, commerce-driven behaviors. If there's any point to arguing on this topic, in my opinion it should be about where we draw the lines. This is OK, that isn't. Complaining that there is any hunting is a waste of breath.

It doesn't bother me much that a guy that likes throwing spears, and is good at it, wants to use his skill instead of a rifle or bow. If bears are plentiful and can legally be hunted by other means, I'm not against him using his spear. I wouldn't do it myself, but I can accept it.

Around here, we hear bear reports only once a year at the most. I'd love to see a wild bear around here. I'd be horrified if some numbskull killed the one and only bear we have in the surrounding six counties.

Maybe the giraffe was napping.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Give credit where credit is due. He was within thirty to forty feet, without backup, of an animal fully capable of hunting back.
Give credit? Seriously? Just because you can kill a bear with a spear does not mean you deserve credit. I though humans had come along way in the past 200 years but it is obvious that there are humans who still live like cavemen. On that note, cavemen had spears because they would literally be killed by a sabertooth tiger wondering past. We don't have that problem anymore (this guy had to FIND a bear). If that bear had come up to him and tried to kill him then that would be a different story.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm far more upset at the people that feed wildlife (most of whom would go on and on about how they are so pro-wildlife). As the saying goes, a fed bear is a dead bear -- and it is fully true. Every year there are several bear and mountain lions around here that have to be put down because they have become used to being fed and have not only lost there fear of humans but have become aggressively expectant of finding free food near humans.

A few years ago there was an old lady that had been cited numerous times over several years for feeding black bears and she just refused to stop -- until the cops found one of the bears she had been feeding dining on her. She accounted for over half a dozen bears that had to be put down (including the one that killed her).

Although it was legal for him to bait the bear, I personally am not fond of the practice. But as long as it was legal to do so, I'm not going to condemn him for it.

I've seen bears three times (and am pretty sure they were within a hundred yards or so on a few other occasions) and mountain lion twice (once was a pair of near-adults crossing the road about five yards in front of me). Each time was a memorable experience, including the awareness that these are wild animals that could and would kill me within the blink of an eye if they felt threatened (or were hungry enough). But I also know that as long as I don't threaten them, they are almost certainly more than willing enough to leave me alone in return.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
When I was a young man, I had several great bear hunting adventures. Back in the seventies, when the state game agencies, plus the yellowstone park officials had a problem with a bear or cat, they would call in a professional hunter/trapper. I buddied up with one for a few years.

Bears are hard to kill. They are very dense. We hunted grisly, brown, cinnamon and black bears.
Most of the hunts were out of season of course. Some had been wounded. We were paid a bounty.

I would never hunt a bear without dogs. Here in the east you can, but I wouldn't suggest it out west.

I once saw a cinnamon charge this fellow. He put six shots into it and still had to back up quite a bit.
We found 2 bullets in the chest, 2 bullets in the skull and 2 bullets in the heart muscle itself.
It still took almost 2 minutes for the breathing to stop. He hurt several of the dogs on the charge and scarred the shit out of us. We let him bleed out.

That video is very mis-leading. That was a people bear. Not a wild bear. It was used to people. And that, IMO, was not a bear hunt. You can't hunt a people bear. You just kill them, like livestock. And I would not kill livestock with a spear.

And I never saw an aggressive black bear, compared to the others. Although I'm quite sure there are some.

If you decide to hunt a real wild bear with a spear, you had better be in great physical shape and have lots of friends with spears with you. And dogs, lot's of dogs. If we didn't have dogs, we all would have starved long ago.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Give credit? Seriously? Just because you can kill a bear with a spear does not mean you deserve credit. I though humans had come along way in the past 200 years but it is obvious that there are humans who still live like cavemen. On that note, cavemen had spears because they would literally be killed by a sabertooth tiger wondering past. We don't have that problem anymore (this guy had to FIND a bear). If that bear had come up to him and tried to kill him then that would be a different story.
Oh, so cavemen only used spears to defend themselves and would never have thought to use them for hunting. Hmmm, wasn't aware of that.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Appreciation for their majestic beauty, life, mother nature, and some truly organic meat, and a day out with friends?

To just name a few.
Hey, lets go out and Kill something!.:rolleyes:
If I really wanted fresh meat there are plenty of farmers around here, also a local abattoir will oblige.
Max.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
If you don't kill animals because you believe they have a right to life, I can understand that position as long as you don't eat meat or fish and don't use leather in any form.

Last edited: