Another circuit analysis problem

leoisleo

Joined Jan 25, 2015
I don't know how to calculate a current Ix in this problem. I've tried to simplify the circuit as much as I can and then use KVL to get the current Ix but I got the wrong answer. Below is a picture of the problem as well as my attempt. Although I don't have any calculations on the picture only how much I simplified the circuit.

Problem:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyh0qvhzt3q6f8a/Photo 2015-01-28 20 20 57.jpg?dl=0

My attempt:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jcw7x41plv6nhi/Photo 2015-01-28 19 43 32.jpg?dl=0

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm tired of going out to drop box or this site or that site, almost all of which want to install cookies on my machine, to view images that are supposed to be posted HERE.
Please scale and save your images so that they are between 300 and 500 pixels wide and that the files (PNG for line art and JPG for photos) are under 200KB (50KB preferred) and attach them to your post (and embed them in the post if small enough) and you will get much more of a response.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes, that helps a lot. I need to be someplace in a few minutes so I can't respond right now, but wanted you to know that it DOES help.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You appear to be doing fine.

What can you do with two current sources that are in parallel?

(Is the given answer something between -2.0 mA and -2.5mA?)

leoisleo

Joined Jan 25, 2015
You appear to be doing fine.

What can you do with two current sources that are in parallel?

(Is the given answer something between -2.0 mA and -2.5mA?)
Glad that it helps!

Alright well that sounds good. I guess you can combine them? However there is a resistor in between so that shouldn't be possible?

Haha yeah the answer is -2.4mA. How did you solve it?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Glad that it helps!

Alright well that sounds good. I guess you can combine them? However there is a resistor in between so that shouldn't be possible?

Haha yeah the answer is -2.4mA. How did you solve it?
But does the order of things matter if they are all in series or all in parallel? Isn't that just a matter of drawing them in a different order?

Once you combine them, you then have a current source in parallel with a resistor. Do you know how to transform that into an equivalent voltage source in series with a resistor?