Another 2-digit up/down counter...x2

hobo_3

Joined Dec 10, 2014
Ok, got some photos here. I took the 555s out completely; it's just the 4093 going right to the 40110's. I did figure out the issue with both switches needing to be pressed. After I thought about it a little more, I realized it's pretty obvious that the output pins had to be joined...and they were! So my sleuthing skills need to be upgraded a little.

Unfortunately, the one quadrant of the 4093 is still making the counter change by two. I tried moving the .1uf capacitor and 100k resistor from pin 1 to pin 2, but that didn't change anything. And also, it is incredibly consistent that it changes by 2. I can get a video if you want to see it.

And to explain a little more how I set everything up; the 40110's on the left side of the board are driving the "in process" side, so the 4093 outputs are going to the clock up and clock down pins of the lower left, and that borrow/carries to the top left 40110. On the right, that is the "target" number (only set once a day, presumably) so I just have outputs going to the clock up on both 40110's. (one button per digit), so that you don't have to clock through more than 9 presses per digit. That way, you can set any number in 18 button presses or less, instead of 50 presses as the other side is. Uh, if that makes sense.

So, as it stands; I think I'll just stuff this all in my enclosure as is. I'm getting antsy to see it all together. :rolleyes: The in-process side will clock down by two, but as a prototype, I think it's fine. I was actually toying with the idea of having only two buttons, and a toggle switch to make the buttons control only one side at a time. That way, the "target" side will be more difficult to change accidentally.

One more question, though. Would ribbon cable be the best choice to connect the LEDs to the board? I looked around a little at the cable, headers, etc., but I'm not quite sure what is the appropriate way of doing it. Something tells me that the phone cord I used this time isn't "industry standard".

board_back.png board_front.png

hobo_3

Joined Dec 10, 2014
The prototype is done! The assembly went fairly smoothly. I spent a fair amount of time cutting the front face (using an old aluminum "warning: flammable liquid" sign), but that shouldn't be an issue once it's set up for the laser cutter. I only had one sign on hand, so I just cut some foam-core for the back which is held on by 4 keyhole slots. People will want to get back there anyway for this one, so I'm not too concerned. The final will probably have another sheet of steel screwed down. I think I'll mount the circuit board to the back sheet also, so for now it's just sitting loose. I'll probably stretch it out a little too; I think the numbers look a little too close together in this frame.

The top "GOAL" section lights up by flipping the top switch, and it gets REALLY bright. I'm sure I'll be asked if that can be done automatically, but I'm not sure I want to get into that. It's a once-a-day operation; I think we can get people to do it on their own.

All in all, I'm really happy with how it turned out. I tried to make it look like it belongs in a 1950's cockpit. Maybe the whole run will be a little more modern; we'll see. Once it's in place, I'll try to take a video of its operation and post it here.
counter_front.png counter_rear.png

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Looks good! Did you work out the kinks you mentioned in post #21? I started to look but got overcome by events at home during the holiday.

If you opt to explore a microcontroller (uC) solution down the road, you can easily have the GOAL light up automatically when the count reaches or exceeds the goal. It is possible to do this without a uC by using several AND gates, however if the count exceeds the goal, then the light would go off. If that isn't a problem, I can put something together.

hobo_3

Joined Dec 10, 2014
Thanks. It was quite a hit at work. Although people seemed a little disappointed in the lack of fireworks and siren. I suppose I could...but I won't. The person who commissioned this project was extremely excited; he basically threw his credit card at me and told me to order everything I need to make 10 more as soon as possible. So that was a nice endorsement! (And I did; I may be pretty busy come Wednesday :cool:.)

Did you work out the kinks you mentioned in post #21?
Nope. It still makes the number count by twos. I did set that as the "count down" side, and that isn't something I really anticipate anyone using. Once I start making the finals, I'll be sure to keep my eye on that. (I'll also use sockets, in case the IC is faulty).

As of now, I think all the details are set. I'll save the microcontrollers for another project. I'm sure the plant manager would love to have a display in his office showing what every one of these counters show on the shop floor, but I won't bring that up quite yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy_dXT4Xxzc&feature=youtu.be