Animated LED Matrix

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by chuckk, Jul 31, 2009.

1. chuckk

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    I've got this idea stuck in my head and it won't go away. Yes, I'm a newbie, but I need help on how to approach creating a very large animated LED display, say 6 feet tall and 10-20 feet wide. Naturally, I don't expect to start that large, but I would like some ideas on how to control each LED as a pixel in the animation. I expect that there will probably be 3 or 4 thousand LED's, preferably RGB's in the final array.

I realize that this is probably overly ambitious, but I have this idea stuck in my head... There are commercial displays I've seen on the web that achieve this, but I'm not sure how it is accomplished. I'm sure this will required some amps as well.

I expect to use an AVR microcontroller via Arduino as the project controller. I have purchased several Allegro IC's, and MAX232's for row and column control and think that I might control each LED with a transistor, or possibly a transistor array. Beyond that, I'm not sure how to proceed. I don't think that I want to get into multiplexing or charlieplexing unless there is no other way to do this.

Any ideas on how I might approach this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. wellyboot

Jun 1, 2005
  3. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
    If its a line display with several 5x5 matrices used, you could create one easily with a PC using RS232 or printer port.. Standalone operation requires uC.. There are several circuits online..