Angle sensors

Webby

Joined Jun 15, 2008
I'm working on a project and need to know the reason as to why angle sensors use resistance measurement?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What type of sensors are you talking about?
There are hall sensors that can detect an angle and there are a kind of gyro related sensors.

Bertus

Webby

Joined Jun 15, 2008
Bertus, basically potentiometer would I be right in thinking the resistance measurement are fast and reliable for checking angle sensors?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
For what you seem to be talking about, I suspect a potentiometer is used, because it is cheap, and the output is easily converted to digital or analog representation.

If you look up goniometer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goniometer) you may get more in depth information. For modern tools, an accelerometer may be used to measure the angle (incline) relative to Earth or other reference point.

John

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
I assume you are talking about tilt relative to earth's gravity?

There are electrolytic angle sensors, basically a conductive fluid in a small capsule with specially shaped electrodes- basically a resistive sensor.

MEMS accelerometers seem to be the best option these days.

If you are talking about the angle of two mechanical parts in relation to each other- that is another subject with may possibilities.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the problem with potentiometers for angle measurments are contact wear. inductive angle sensors and optical encoders are much more reliable. accelerometers are usefull on changing angles, but will not give you static angles.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
jpanhalt, so the angle output stays the same after cycling the power? an eccelerometer will tell you how much and how fast movement is or was, but when not moving will tell you only that it is not moving. external circuits keep track of movement.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You are ignoring the context of the comment, which referred to angles relative to Earth. Thus, you can determine whether something is level, perpendicular, or any angle in between. The result can be constant, as they are continuously exposed to gravity. You can also tell in a constant state the angular difference between two items. Of course, you have to have the accelerometer aligned to the proper axis.

You may find this application note of interest: http://resenv.media.mit.edu/classarchive/MAS836/Inertialnotes/an-00mx-001.pdf

John

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
there was only one comment made about the relative angle of the earth. the origional poster has not replyed about the use for the angle measurement. where I work, angle measurements are more for machine tool and building measurement use than locating the position in the galaxy.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
You're both right. Accelerometers are fine for measuring angles on a vertical plane. Or a plane that has a significantly large vertical component.

But the accelerometer can't measure angles on a horizontal plane.