Angle Phase Generator, Camshaft position sensor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Tree1, May 29, 2011.

1. Tree1

Thread Starter Member

Nov 30, 2010
    http://alphacars.com/Documents/Tech Electronic Signals.pdf/

Hey guys, I need some kind assistance. Page 5 on this document( the link is above) describes an angle phase generator used a camshaft position sensor. I would like to simulate this in a lab, my only problem would be the electronic part of it. This sensors is supplied with a 120khz AC signal according to the document. I am wondering If I could use a transistor to supply that 120khz or just a function generator can do the job. If need a transistor, what type of transistor would be suitable for this application?

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    In a lab setting, using an indexing signal and knowing the rotational speed works very well to track the rotation of the cam.

I get a 404 error on that link.

3. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Test your link before posting. I get a 404 NOT FOUND error.

EDIT: I think this is your link.
    http://alphacars.com/Documents/Tech Electronic Signals.pdf

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  4. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    That alleged scope photo on page 5 shows a change in frequency. It should show a change in phase.

Do you have a sensor like the one described?

5. Tree1

Thread Starter Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Yes, sorry guys, the link is as Ron H kindly posted( see below too). Thanks. Yes, I do have a sensor. Everything in terms of speed and the trigger wheel and the orientation of sensor with respect to the trigger wheel and a motor to spin the sensor at the desired engine speed according to the engine's specs of whatever vehicle is already taken care of. I just need to get the sensor to work. I need to send 120khz ACto the senor primary and observe the phase shift betwn the signals the primary and secondary winding on an oscilloscope.

Thanks!!

http://alphacars.com/Documents/Tech%...%20Signals.pdf

6. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    You could try driving it with a function generator. I suspect the actual functioning in a car is dependent on the source impedance driving the primary, and the load impedance of the secondary, which may be complex (e.g., capacitive/resistive).

7. Tree1

Thread Starter Member

Nov 30, 2010
    ok, Ron H. Thx, I'll def. try.

8. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    I should have told you the reasons for my thinking. I believe that the trigger wheel changes the inductance of the coil. The phase shift of an RL circuit will change as the inductance changes. The phase shift of an RLC circuit can be even more sensitive relative to inductance change.

9. Tree1

Thread Starter Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Very useful information, certainly makes sense. Thanks again!