And the Oscar goes to...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ChrisChemist116, Mar 7, 2010.

1. ChrisChemist116

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Hi, :)

I dont know if you people here enjoy or like to watch movies as i do.
    But this is to remind that today it is the 82nd Annual Academy Awards.

As a major difference from previous ceremonies. This year will have two hosts, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin, and there will be many surprises as seen from ABC previews.

And for the first time since its inception, the Oscars will feature not 5, but 10 nominations for the best film category.
    and here they're :

Directed by James Cameron and the first feature film since Titanic to get to this nomination. It has to be noted it is the first sci-fi film to get best picture nomination since ET the extraterrestial in 1982

District 9:

Directed by Neill Blomkamp has also got positive reviews from Rotten Tomatoes and in South Africa, the film grossed five times more than the award-winning Tsotsi, with much less exposure.

The Hurt Locker:

Directed by Kathryn Bigelow, becomes the second American woman to be nominated for Best Director, the other being Sofia Coppola for Lost in Translation in 2003.

Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire

Director Lee Daniels becomes the second African-American to be nominated for Best Director after John Singleton for 1991's Boyz n the Hood.

Directed by Pete Docter & Bob Peterson
    Becomes the first CGI animated feature film to be nominated for Best Picture and the second animated feature overall after Beauty and the Beast in 1991. The film is also the first to be nominated simultaneously in both the Best Picture and Best Animated Feature categories since the latter category's inception in 2001.

Up in the Air

Director Jason Reitman becomes the youngest person to receive two directing nominations (age 32).
    Producers Jason Reitman and father Ivan Reitman are the second father-and-son duo to be nominated as producers for a Best Picture nominee. The first duo to receive this distinction was in 1996 when Mario and Vittorio Cecchi Gori for producing 1994's Il Postino.

A Serious Man

Directed by Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
    It has received mostly positive reviews from critics, with an aggregate score of 87% from Rotten Tomatoes, based on 173 reviews.Variety's Todd McCarthy commented that "the Coens' filmmaking skills are sharply attentive," and that A Serious Man is "the kind of picture you get to make after you've won an Oscar".
    Joel and Ethan Coen were awarded Best Original Screenplay at the 2009 National Board of Review Awards and Best Original Screenplay from the National Society of Film Critics Awards 2009, they have been nominated for a Writers Guild of America Award for Best Original Screenplay and the BAFTA for Best Original Screenplay.

Inglourious Basterds

Directed by Quentin Tarantino
    Nothing more to say than opening in 3,165 screens, the film earned $14.3 million on the opening Friday of its North American release.

An Education
    Directed by Lone Scherfig
    An Education won the Audience Choice award and the Cinematography award at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival. Mulligan won a Hollywood Film Festival award for Best Hollywood Breakthrough Performance for a Female. It was selected Sight & Sound's film of the month.

The Blind Side

Directed by John Lee Hancock.
    Betsy Sharkey writing for Los Angeles Times "Wisely, Hancock has given the film as much humor as heart, whether it's Michael bench-pressing SJ or Leigh Anne calling in plays to a very irritated high school coach."[,0,683065.story]
    It grossed a very strong $34,510,000 in its opening weekend, the second highest gross of that weekend, behind the The Twilight Saga: New Moon. It was the highest-grossing opening weekend of Sandra Bullock's career.
    Well ... only time will say which of these will come up with the statue.
    So well dont forget to tune into.

The Academy Awards telecast will be in live from the Kodak Theather in Los Angeles at 5:30 PM PST (8:30 PM EST) (01:30, Mar. 8 UTC)
    International broadcasters also will show the telecast as seen here (some includes the Pre-show and Satellite).

2. count_volta

Feb 4, 2009
    Cool, I loved the Inglourious Basterds.
  3. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Movie buffs are very limited here I think.
    I am a movie buff though
  4. count_volta

Feb 4, 2009
    Nonsense, everyone here likes movies. Maybe people don't particularly care for some of the movies from your list though. I have yet to watch Avatar. Gotta see what is all the hype. People say UP is a good movie. Need to watch that too.
  5. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Avatar: - Decent movie but its just a remake of Dances with Wolves and Smurfs.

District 9: - Great movie, new story line.

The Hurt Locker: - Great Movie

Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire - Not seen

Up: - Not seen

Up in the Air - Not seen

A Serious Man - Not seen

Inglourious Basterds - Didn't like it.

An Education - Not seen

The Blind Side - Not seen

I personally liked
    Red Barron
    The Cove
    Star Trek
    The Imagitarium of Dr Parn Asas
  6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Avatar was an out of the body experience.
    What about lightning thief.

I have been away from movies for a couple of weeks.
    It's time to see the new ones.