Anarchy in the UK

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
Riots have now spread out of London and to Birmingham. I am seriously concerned about people and thier livelyhoods, has anyone here been affected?
I really hope there's no riots here in Liverpool too :( I don't have my nuclear bunker yet!

What do you think about these riots? Lets not get too political.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I have just had to go a very long way around on my way home, to avoid roads I would usually go on which are now impassible because of problems. A local radio station provided me with a terrifying soundtrack of looting, arson and personal assaults. It seems that riots have kicked off in several of the poorer areas of London now.

What is not at all clear is how this might be tackled: almost certainly there are much worse economic times to come, so if this is in any way a driver of the rioting we might expect a lot more trouble. Some people are talking about bringing in the armed forces, but it's not clear if even that would work, unless they were prepared to consider killing on a large scale. When foreign governments do that, don't we criticise them?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I think they should send the army in, most of these looters aren't going to contribute anything to society in their lives. Maybe tell the troops just to aim for the legs.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Yes, but I don't remember it very well. I don't think anyone's likely to blow up the houses of parliament, they seem more interested in looting electrical and phone shops, setting fire to a few things on their way to keep the police busy.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I'm not sure that an army can use live ammunition with any other intention than to kill. They could of course use other means, like tear gas or baton rounds.

What is happening is terrifying, and the people involved deserve punishment, but we need to remember that just one police shooting is supposed to have triggered this in the first place. If large-scale shooting has to start, how many would have to die before things began to calm down rather than get worse?

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
Yes, but I don't remember it very well. I don't think anyone's likely to blow up the houses of parliament, they seem more interested in looting electrical and phone shops, setting fire to a few things on their way to keep the police busy.
That's not what I was getting at, rather thier society in V.f.V, it starts with things like "military interventions" (read: shooting citizens with their country's own army) doesn't lead to less riots if you ask me.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
This riot started because a man was shot down by police. Really Mark77, I do NOT think the army would be the best approach in this case.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Maybe shooting them is a bit extreme, but I think the army should step in, they could just use riot shields and batons. The police have not had much success, which is not surprising considering the numbers involved.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'll say one thing, then shut up. If a crowd attacked my home I would defend myself with deadly force. So would most of my neighbors. The government need not do anything.

"An armed society is a polite society"
Robert Heinlein

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I'll never understand what looting and burning down shops and houses has to do with protesting.
More shooting and wounded / deaths are only going to worsen the situation. Police of course has to stop the chaos, however they need to avoid any more deaths. If police is not able to do it army has to come in, but only to control the situation, not by shooting at people.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I'll say one thing, then shut up. If a crowd attacked my home I would defend myself with deadly force. So would most of my neighbors. The government need not do anything.

"An armed society is a polite society"
Robert Heinlein
Weapons are not easily available in these countries, not for everyone...
Common people have no defense against this mob. And then, the "law" protects everyone, even the attacker.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
That might work on a burglar, or even a small gang of thugs, but I'm not so sure about this lot. I don't think private citizens have had much luck dealing with this sort of thing in the past, even in places where ordinary people customarily bear arms.

As I understand it, there have been several instances in the past where the National Guard have been involved in tackling riots in the USA. People may argue about whether such force was fully justified, but clearly at those times the government did not think that citizen resistance was enough.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Just how bad exactly is it to be 'in jail' these days. If your are clothed, fed, entertained(TV, books, magazines) get exercise and mail, or internet. Are you REALLY inclined to try to avoid acting out in ways that will result in 'punishment'?

If on the other hand, you are beat, tortured, starved and otherwise kept extremely miserable. Poorly treated and have ZERO contact with the outside world, by way of entertainment or communication, would you not strive to do everything in your power to AVOID 'punishment'?

I would suggest for the dear readers, that WE, western civilization, have created the dilemma we find ourselves in, at the hands of those who would 'break the law'.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That might work on a burglar, or even a small gang of thugs, but I'm not so sure about this lot. I don't think private citizens have had much luck dealing with this sort of thing in the past, even in places where ordinary people customarily bear arms.

As I understand it, there have been several instances in the past where the National Guard have been involved in tackling riots in the USA. People may argue about whether such force was fully justified, but clearly at those times the government did not think that citizen resistance was enough.
Guess you missed the part about my neighbors. Texas is strange, even by USA standards.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Well, the Texans may be able to defend themselves, but private citizens in this country can't cope with what is happening to them. People are getting hurt, and property is being destroyed. I think it can only be a matter of time before lives are lost, whether or not the law enforcement agencies intentionally use lethal force.

Perhaps we can improve our capacities for self-defence, and this might play a role in discouraging future trouble, but in my opinion dealing with the present crisis has to be a matter for people who already have the necessary skills.