Analog value to serial IC ??

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Zakaria Fadli, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Zakaria Fadli

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I have a sensor that measures an analog value and i want a ICs to convert it to TTL serial ,

because i want to send it afterwards via a bluetooth IC that takes TTL serial as input. I already have a working prototype with a µController but i want something which is the smallest and most compact possible. What are the keywords that i should use form my research? thank you

2. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I think you need to combine the use of an ADC and a microcontroller to do the conversion for you. I am not aware of any devices that has all of this functionality built-in.

You can buy very compact microcontrollers in surface mount (SMD or SMT) packages. I would start there.

What microcontroller are you using in your prototype?

3. Zakaria Fadli

Jun 12, 2015
    a really big one https://developer.mbed.org/platforms/ST-Nucleo-F401RE/

4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    That's not just a microcontroller, that's an entire microcontroller development board. You do not need the dev board. Get yourself a single STM32F401RET6 (the microcontroller used on the dev board you linked to), or switch to a PIC, AVR, or the like. It's a single IC. The dev board includes all sorts of junk that you may never use, and wastes a lot of space.

5. Zakaria Fadli

Jun 12, 2015
    Thanks for you answers.
    i found bluetooth ICs that convert audio signal to bluetooth (used for audio wireless headphones and stuff.)
    If i put in a signal that doesn't vary much (couple sensor) will it take it? i am not sure since the sensor signal will have DC component do you think it will work?

6. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Generally speaking, and particularly in the ultra-low cost world of bluetooth devices, audio systems do not process DC or "very low" frequencies; they have capacitors specifically to filter out these things. So an audio system probably will not work for you unless your signal has a low frequency limit of 50-100 Hz.

What is the frequency range of the analog signal?
    What is the voltage range of the analog signal?
    And the biggie - what precision or resolution do you need in the reconstructed signal? For example, an 8-bit transmission system breaks your original signal into 256 distinct levels, so the quantizing error is a little under 0.5%. That's pretty coarse, but is it ok for you?

ak

7. Zakaria Fadli

Jun 12, 2015
    thanks that's exactly what i was asking thanks, my signal don't have a lower limit it can even become DC in some cases and i still want the measure.
    i do not have an idea now on the resolution i need but i guess that's a detail for later, i think a found a good candidate it's the Cc2540 of texas instrument it seems like it does everything i want it to do.