Analog signal biasing

MittenMuffins

Joined May 24, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out a way to get 2 different signals to 2 motor controllers that take a 0-5V input. Basically, the motors work as a differential in a go kart with a split axle. Right now it is set up so each controller gets the same signal from the throttle pot. Is there a way to get 2 different signals to the controllers that change based on an additional signal such as a pot on the steering wheel?

Also, I've been doing some research and I came across a passive mixer circuit. I'm not sure if it will do what I want though (I'm a mechanical engineering student, so any electronics knowledge I learn on my own :) )

Thanks!
Chris

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There is a way to do it but what level of complexity and control you are looking for?

Also, is this a four wheeled vehicle and you are trying to optimize the differential? Or, is it a two wheeled vehicle on a split axle and you are trying to create some type of skid steering control?

MittenMuffins

Joined May 24, 2013
I'm looking for as simple as possible. It is a four wheeled vehicle, rear wheel drive. As far as level of control, all that needs to happen is, for example, when the kart turns to the right the inside wheel/motor needs to slow down and the outside needs to speed up proportionally to the angle of the steering wheel. I can fine-tune the controller response to the signal.