Analog phone help!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by JOKU, Sep 3, 2013.

1. JOKU

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Hello!

Sorry I Know this may sound very basic to many of you but can someone explain to me the process of replacing an analog phone line in a school? I have been put in charge of managing the phones at my district but have never been trained in telephony. Instead of going to a vendor for help it would be nice if I was able to replace the cable pair instead of paying the money that our district doesn't really have.

An example of an issue I have seen is a teachers analog phone isn't working. I'v tested the phone in another port and it's working properly.

Where do I go from here?

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    replace it with what? ethernet cabling?
    for a VOIP system?

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I'd spend some time determining what the root problem is. Do the wires really need to be replaced, or merely repaired. Have rodents chewed the wires? Has there been mechanical damage of some kind?

Another approach of course is to simply abandon the wires and use wireless phones. Of course you need a connection at the base station(s).

If you really end up pulling new wires, forget the old phone wire and pull an ethernet cable. Even that is nearing obsolescence. Most folks just go wireless.

4. JOKU

Sep 3, 2013
    Sorry it's an analog system. We are using a 66 block and each extension is being routed from the 66 block to the classroom with a blue and white blue cable pair. if that pair is not working, how do I replace the pair?

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    It depends how they were installed. Sometimes you can use the old, bad cable to pull a new one thru a wall or over a ceiling. But if the cables are stapled down, tied in knots, or whatever, it can be a big deal to tear out and reinstall.

6. JOKU

Sep 3, 2013
    Sorry I know I keep leaving details out but our vendor just re punches a new cable pair on the 66 block whenever one of these issues occurs. I'm guessing that means the port on the block is out right? To test this, should I just put my butt set on the lines coming out of that port and then try to call out? If I can't call out I'm guessing I should move those lines to another port to get the phones working. Does that sound like the right steps?