Analog display Automatic fan regulator

wasim khan

Joined Feb 11, 2015
hey guyz..,hope ur doing good.....am an electrical student...well i was wondering about automatic fan regulator...as we knew speed of fan can be controlled using regulator either with 4 steps or 5 steps whatever it is....my question is...whether its possible to control the speed of fan without using regulator..but by using simple analog display say, if we enter certain value for ex: voltage 0.5mA for first step 0.6mA for second step..etc..,so if it is possible please guide me to move further........

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Depends on the fan (its motor)..
One could easily create a device with analog display that would use PWM and output a voltage proportional to the reading on the display to control the motor speed.

Obviously a regulator and an analog display are 2 totally different devices with totally different functions.
One could easily add an analog display to read the output of the regulator.
One could create a device where a simple up/down press on some buttons changed the output voltage.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
You can vary the fan speed by holding the voltage or current to a constant value, but then you will be regulating the fan power, not its speed. For example, if you run a 12VDC brushless DC fan at a constant 9 V, the actual fan speed will be less that it would be at the full 12 V. But the speed will vary with air temperature, barometric pressure, back pressure, and bearing life.

ak