Analog Discovery vs myDAQ

fire_lizard

Joined Apr 4, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am learning this course:

https://www.coursera.org/course/circuits

And there is a choice between Analog Discovery and myDAQ for using in labs, and I plan to use them in the future as oscilloscope for example.

I did not find comparison between them in Google. Does anyone know what are pros and cons for them? (For example which one has a better oscilloscope)?

Thanks in advance

Maxfooo

Joined Aug 24, 2013
I can tell you a little but about Analog Discovery.

It is very intuitive, easy to learn. The silly scope is fairly nice, clean. The arbitrary wave form generator is also very simple and nice to have. There is a record button, however it requires that you sample over that amount of time that you want, which means you cannot see what you are sampling, just a screen showing your progress. I basically carry mine where ever I go because its nice to have a simple, inexpensive silly scope where ever you are.

There isn't much lag when going to its higher frequency of analyzing and it has 2 channels which is nice for comparison. I am also taking the linear circuits course at ASU and I intend on using it all the time.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I haven't yet had much time to play with my Analog Discovery, but what I see so far impresses me. The things that I know that I wish it would do would be to have an API so that I can interface to it to do continuous streaming in both directions under program control. That might be possible using LabView, but I don't have any intention of doing so.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I just went out to the myDAQ site. Of course, the first thing I notices was that it is National Instruments, who now own Digilent. As near as I can tell, myDAQ is very similar to the Analog Discovery except that you need to use LabView, which can be pretty expensive, as opposed to the free Waveforms software from Digilent. Of course, LabView brings a lot of capability and features to the table, too.

fire_lizard

Joined Apr 4, 2013
I just went out to the myDAQ site. Of course, the first thing I notices was that it is National Instruments, who now own Digilent. As near as I can tell, myDAQ is very similar to the Analog Discovery except that you need to use LabView, which can be pretty expensive, as opposed to the free Waveforms software from Digilent. Of course, LabView brings a lot of capability and features to the table, too.
Actually, student versions of LabView and Multisim are included in myDAQ bundle