an urgent question about power supply to LED circuits.

nati86

Joined Dec 27, 2016
Im using a 12V-350W switching power supply to light LED stripes.

I use a switch similer to the light switch on the house walls to turn on and off power TO the power supply.
once I turn off the switch, the power supply keeps on feeding the LED lights, and make it flicker until fade away.

I understand the power supply has parts that store the energy and dumps it once the switch is off, can I make the LED stop flickering when I turn the energy off to the power supply?

thanks you!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What is the used power of the led strips?
How many led strips are used?
Do you have the specifications of these led strips?
Do you have the specifications of the used powersupply?

Bertus

nati86

Joined Dec 27, 2016
I use a meanwell 350W-12V power supply, and a 4.8W a meter led strip.
I'm trying to make a box with this power supply and an 8 12V exits for the led strips.

I plan to use between 60W to 280W on each box.

when I use cheap 12V 60W power supply and put a sensor before the led, it doesnt happen.
but now I put the sensor (this case a light switch) BEFORE the power supply, on the 230V line, to turn of and on power to the power supply itself. but the closing of the LED strips is not clean, it shut down while flickering.

thank you very much for the response.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The powersupply has buffer capacitors in it.
When the load is low (like 60 watts on the 350 watts powersuppy), the draining of these capacitors will take some time.
You have seen the result, a flickering of the leds until the capacitors ate empty.

Bertus

nati86

Joined Dec 27, 2016
thank you!
is there a way to make the excess energy to be drained somewhere else? not to the LED stripes?
and if not, how can you make a LED lights circuit that wont flicker when the power is turned off?

nati86

Joined Dec 27, 2016
I mean, is there some kind of relay we can add after the power supply and before the LED stripes to stop thgis from happening?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The ralays will not take the energy away.
Put the coil of the 230 Volts relays on the input of the powersupply after your switch.
The contact of the relays in series with the led strips.
The given relays is rated 12 Amps, so you will need relays for each 100 Watts of led strip.
When the power switch is opened, the relays will fall off and open the contact to the leds to switch them off.

Bertus

nati86

Joined Dec 27, 2016
Hello,

The ralays will not take the energy away.
Put the coil of the 230 Volts relays on the input of the powersupply after your switch.
The contact of the relays in series with the led strips.
The given relays is rated 12 Amps, so you will need relays for each 100 Watts of led strip.
When the power switch is opened, the relays will fall off and open the contact to the leds to switch them off.

Bertus

THANK YOU!!!