An Idea

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by KL7AJ, Mar 11, 2009.

1. KL7AJ

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    I've only been part of AAC for a few months, but as I look back on the amazing amount of great information that's been exchanged, some gears started grinding. How about creating a book of "the best of aac" or such. It's one thing to write a textbook about theory, but quite another to produce a tome that answers real questions and solves actual problems. If we just gleaned the most interesting projects from this forum, I think we could put together a magnificent book.

What are your thoughts?

Eric

2. wr8y

Sep 16, 2008
    I'd rather read resumes of some of the board's more informative and frequent posters.

What is your educational background? How do you earn a living? What other ways have you earned a living?

(Most specifically, I am trying to determine how you picked up what you know - a few of you really impress me with your posts - and I've earned a living doing component-level repair from DC to 900 mHz for 28 years. Such practical knowledge is, indeed, rare.)

My list would include:
    KL7AJ
    Mik3
    SgtWookie
    AudioGuru

There are others, but these catch my eye the most often.

3. KL7AJ

Nov 4, 2008
    Aww.....*shucks*. Well, I guess I can start off.

I have precisely 1/2 of an electrical engineering degree. After a couple of years at El Camino college in L.A., I got the call of the north and came to Alaska to, well...be an Alaskan! I wouldn't recommend this career path to everyone, but it worked fine for me! I ended up chief engineer of KJNP, a 50 KW directional A.M. station for about 25 years. We also had an F.M. and a TV station, but my passion was still the directional A.M. array.

I wrote my first QST article in 1983, and have had a lot of QST and QEX articles published since then....including a few now-defunct ham magazines.

In around 1993, I did some consulting work for HIPAS Observatory, working on the multi-megawatt ERP ionospheric heating facility. I learned a lot about designing instrumentation there, as well as a good deal of plasma physics, since HIPAS is run by the UCLA plasma physics department. While I was at HIPAS, I worked with a lot of people who were putting HAARP together, so I spent a lot of time crawling around inside those transmitters, too. As a result of that experience, I wrote Plasma Dreams (available on Amazon.com.....shameless commercial plug). I'm currently trying to market the "prequel" to Plasma Dreams, Steel Stonehenge. Alas, my former agent is no longer agenting, so it's a hard road.

While I was in the broadcast biz, I also got my 2nd Class commercial Radiotelegraph license....never got the First, though, since I was sort of landlocked here in Fairbanks. :)

About 90% of what I learned of any practical value was from ham radio. The rest I learned on the fly.

I'm also in Navy/Marine MARS, and am in charge of resurrecting the long haul Region 0 CW network. I'm still proficient at about 45 wpm.

I'm currently working on a major QST article, with K4ERO on X and O mode skywave propagation. Stay tuned!

Eric

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    My blog does something like that, pointing to posts I think are worth referencing. I also put my biography there, being a gregarious fellow

My own thought is that that is what blogs are for.

5. KL7AJ

Nov 4, 2008
    Who's this Greg Arious feller, anyway? :D

6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I think dumping it into a wiki format in addition to the online book would be excellent. With enough edits, it could almost write itself, and need only an organizer/editor or ten.

I've looked at archived troubleshooting lists several times for tips and tricks.

I'm a n00b nobody, BTW.

7. Metalfan1185

Sep 12, 2008
    These guys are extremely knowledgeable on this stuff! sgtwookie has helped me on numerous occasions, and in his responses i sometimes ask myself "How did he think of this? is it off the top of his head?"

Well done guru's! Thanks for making AAC a dependable resource for the rest of us!