an exponential behavior ?

narasimhan

Joined Dec 3, 2009
I'm not able to interpret the second diagram properly. But I guess that thing has some capacitance or inductance to exhibit that exponential transient behaviour.
A look at the chapter rc and rl circuits of william hayt (Engineering circuit analysis) will clear your doubts regarding the exponential behaviour(it also has mathematical explanation). Here's a short explanation
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_16/2.html

narasimhan

Joined Dec 3, 2009
It has both Electric and magnetic field and the metal bar is in motion. That's tough. Only simple answer is that this has some sort of inductance/capacitance associated with it that causes that exponential behaviour(since it involves generator and magnetic field it should have it). Maybe someone else can answer it better

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I'm not sure what the link is between the problem in post #3 and the fuzzy working in post #1.

The problem in post #3 probably has a simple solution.

Since the current is driven by a constant current source the force on the sliding conductor will be constant with the constant vertical B field. The velocity of the sliding bar would then increase in an unbounded manner in the absence of friction.

Force=B*d*i=m*a where a is the acceleration

v(t)=1/2*a*t^2