Amplifying small non-linear signals

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by blah2222, Jun 6, 2011.

1. blah2222

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Hello, I am working on a project where I am receiving a very small current signal (~100 pA - 10 nA) and I would like to convert this into a voltage signal and amplify it up to something that is more reasonable.

Firstly, to convert this into a voltage signal, is the best method just to pass the current through a resistor and take the voltage drop as the new input voltage signal?

Secondly, I will be dealing with an electrochemical signal current that is far from sinusoidal, as you can imagine. I am just curious if my previous knowledge of small-signal analysis and amplifier design will be sufficient to process this signal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    JP

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    40 years ago we did this with a j-fet input stage. There is probably something better now. What's your frequency range?

3. blah2222

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Hm, from what I understand these signals are not periodic. Basically my job is going to be to produce a realtime plot of current levels with time. This electrochemical sensor can have a potential placed between its electrodes to simulate a response in the current.

The plots that I have seen from articles show current spikes based on events that occur at the electrodes, so there is no periodic nature to these signals. So I can't really give a frequency range.

I hope that made sense.
    J

4. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
  5. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    This might also be useful ....

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    What you need is also called an instrument amplifier, one with very high input impedance. A pH meter is an example, although even a pH meter might not be able to deal with currents that small. You'll need an op-amp with an extremely high input impedance. Last time I went looking, I found the LMC6035 or LMC660.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I see you need a DC amplifier in the picoamp range and output recording. In today's world, recording is childs play. As for the amp, now you know what to look for.

Actually, the stuff I worked on in '73 would be perfect for you. Just get in your Wayback machine and buy a Ph meter from Unilock Inc. in Irvine Ca. It comes with a DC coupled picoamp level preamp, alarm point switching, and 4-20ma recording output...or find something similar in the 21st century. It's probably cheaper now.

8. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Don't buy one. Most labs I've worked it will throw out old meters from time to time. #12's right; everything you need is all there.