Amplifying power to motors

Wolfgang

Joined Dec 29, 2014
I have a 18 volt dc motor that is being supplied with 6 v or -6 volts. How would I amplify the 6v to 18 or in reverse -6 to -18 v using a 12 v battery as an additional power source.

Wolfgang

Joined Dec 29, 2014
6+ 12 v is 18 v. I can't put them in series because when the motor goes in reverse the ground and source swap so the it would be -6 + 12 v only 6 volts and it would be in the wrong direction. When forward I get 6 volts want 18. When in reverse I get -6 want -18.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Connect your 12V battery in-series with your existing 6V supply. Now you have 18V. Since it seems you need to reverse the motor, use an 18V H-Bridge, with the motor connected across the sides of the bridge. Your positive logic inputs (presumably 5V) can be referenced to 0V...

Wolfgang

Joined Dec 29, 2014
the 6 v supply used to power the motor hence the 6 and-6 volts for direction. Now I need more power so I have to increase the voltage to 18 for forward and -18 for backwards. The 6/-6 v supply isn't a battary it is the power coming from a seperate chip that I can't modify.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Can't you just buy an 18V supply? Probably cheaper (certainly simpler) than building a circuit to combine and reverse the two supplies you have.

Wolfgang

Joined Dec 29, 2014
But how to swap the polarity of the 18 v battery so the motor can go in reverse? I can build and solder a circuit but Im clueless as to the design for this.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
But how to swap the polarity of the 18 v battery so the motor can go in reverse? I can build and solder a circuit but Im clueless as to the design for this.
A simple DPDT relay would work just fine for the power handling and reversing process.