Amplifying current after a 4017IC

Stills00

Joined Feb 16, 2010
Yep!!! hahaha How did i mix that up? damn it was that simple! ok cool ill just keep the MPSA14's in there because they have more current!

Thanks alot bro ill submit pictures once it is all done!

Stills00

Joined Feb 16, 2010
Ok so it works i have to build the Lights on top of the truck and then it will all be done! thanks so much for your help here is the final Schematic and it does work! HAHA

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Take a look at this post from the 2nd page of this thread:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=218880&postcount=11
And when I started waking up, from the 7th page of this thread:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=220518&postcount=64

Right after that, I completely overlooked the MPSA14 connections, because I was absorbed in the differences between the two 2907 datasheets. If I had the parts in front of me, it would have been a different story; but I've been dealing with too many other threads.

While the subject of the correct connection of transistors was broached about the high-side 2907's, I failed to press on with questions about the low-side transistors. This is my fault, and the reason the thread went on for another six pages.

My apologies that I got distracted, and neglected to ask enough questions. This project could've easily been wrapped up a week ago.

Stills00

Joined Feb 16, 2010
Ok question If i want the lights to stay on when i flip the switch from left to right or right to left how do i do it? I guess it would be staching them like this
0---------
00--------
000-------
0000------
00000-----
000000----
0000000---
00000000--
000000000-
----------
0----------
00--------
And so on...

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you want to start getting fancy, you need to get away from using individual 74xx-series or 4000-series CMOS IC's, and learn how to program microcontrollers.

Almost all of the hardware goes away, except for the microcontroller, a voltage regulator, and a driver IC or two.

You can program in as many patterns and fades as you have the creative juices to program, and memory in the uC.

There is a steep learning curve in the beginning. But, once you get "over the hump", you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Stills00

Joined Feb 16, 2010
Ya Im going to try and learn about those things soon where would you suggest i start? Any good tutorials or Kits you know of?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It's up to you.

Parallax Inc's Basic Stamps are easy to learn how to program and use (they use a Basic-like language), but quite expensive, starting at around $40/each. You can get started with them for around $150 or so with a Stamps in Class kit; haven't checked their prices lately.

You can get started with a Microchip Pickit 3 for around $60-$80; the learning curve is much more steep, but the microcontrollers themselves are about 1/10 the price or less.

There are lots of other brands. Atmels are popular. Arduinos are a generic uC that have a bootloader program. I'm not going to go into them all here.

Stills00

Joined Feb 16, 2010
So it worked great but instead of it flashing two lights at a time i want to go back to my original plan of flashing 1 LED at a time all the way across. My question is if i put a diode on the front of the Transistor arrays will it affect the signal coming from the 555/4017's and drop the voltage so the transistors wont register a signal to turn on... would i need to change the 10K resistors to 9K or something to make them work? im having issues making it do what i want them to do and it seems as if that might be the problem...

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Maybe someone else will help you. I don't have time to continue with this.

If you want to be able to flash whatever patterns that you can think up, get a microcontroller and start learning how to program it.

No more fooling around with re-wiring stuff.