amplify and filter sEMG signals

speklap

Joined Jan 11, 2017
Hello

I'm working on a project where I need to capture raw sEMG signals to predict the movement. I've attached my current schematic, it's single supply 5V.

The signal comes from the electrodes and goes into the instrumentation amplifier. I've AC-coupled the inputs with a HPF at 5Hz, I found that part of the circuit in a paper. I'll set the gain of the in amp at +- 60dB and the reference voltage at Vmid. After that it goes through a HPF (@10Hz), a LPF (@500Hz), an inverting opamp (gain = ?, I'll try to match it with the 0-5V input range of the analog input of an arduino board) and at last a LPF (@500Hz).

I have 2 questions that I'm unsure of.
1. I need to bias the inputs of the in amp at Vmid so that the signal is in the operating range of the in amp. Do I do that at the inputs itself or split the Rg resistor and add the bias voltage there. I've seen both.

2. Where do I connect the Vref electrode? After or before the buffer IC3A or split Rg resistor and add there.

For the rest, I think my schematic will work. Other comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The circuit will not work as the supply voltage is to low for the TL084:

TL084_recommendated_operating_conditions.png

It will need at least 10Volts to work.

Bertus

Attachments

speklap

Joined Jan 11, 2017
I was talking about the reference electrode. Maybe my naming is not consistent. But Vmid is 2,5V, Vcc is 5V and Vref is the reference electrode connected to my body. E+ and E- are the other 2 electrodes.

This is the current circuit for the inamp. What I don't fully understand yet is that by connecting R3 and R4 to Vmid, I bias my inputs, according to the article and I don't need Vcc to do it.
I'll use the LP3990 lin voltage regulator, http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lp3990.pdf

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

From the posted schematic I see that you have used the tsp77018 ( an 1.8 Volts regulator ) to set the Vref on 1.8 Volts.
This will give a difference between Vmid of the electrodes and Vref.

Vref_effect.png

Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Wich version of the LP3990 are you using.
The datasheet shows that there are versions from 0.8 Volts to 3.3 Volts.

Bertus