Amplifier output power-LA 4508

MIRINGU

Joined Mar 18, 2007
Hi, i've these parameters when i used my multimeter to take the readings of an amplifier using IC 4508 . I, had done all the connections ie from radio input to output speaker when taking data.
Input voltage-12v,500mA. Speaker Output terminal-
R 2.3 ohms,V 0.04 V.
Help me get the total output POWER of the amp.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Gee, only about 17.4mA output current through a 2.3 Ohm resistor?
That's about 695 microwatts.

Either you're not making the measurements correctly, the IC is bad, or you have something connected up incorrectly. That IC should be able to output up to 2.5A on one channel - with a proper heat sink, of course.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
With a 12V supply its max linear output swing is only 4V peak which is a current of 1.25A into a 3.2 ohm impedance speaker. Its power is 2.5W at clipping into a 3.2 ohm impedance speaker.

You could bridge its two outputs to drive 5W at clipping into a 6.4 ohm speaker.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Bridging the outputs of power amplifiers is when one amplifier drives one wire of a speaker and a second amplifier connected with reverse phase drives the other wire of the speaker. The speaker has each wire driven push-pull. Then an output coupling capacitor is not needed and the voltage swing to the speaker is doubled which results in much more power.

Car radio amplifiers are usually bridged.