Amplifier or speaker

Tryin2learn

Joined Nov 11, 2016
Hiya I have a hand held personal player which you listen to with headphones . When at home I want to be able to use a speaker instead of the headphones .The speaker would have to plug into the headphone socket I realize there is no electrical power coming out of the socket just audio so the speaker would have to be have to be powered independently .I have already tried a mini speaker that runs of battery power but even at full volume I can barely hear it even a small amplifier any suggestions ??. Thanks Keith..

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
I use a mains powered stereo speaker system from my mini MP3 player, loud and good quality.
Search for mains powered speaker system
E

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@Tryin2learn

A pair of PC external speakers work well for this. You can get a decent pair for $10 (new). Most people are getting rid of their desktop PCs so used speakers are readily available for $2 to $5. These speakers come with the proper connection to plug directly into your player.

At the other extreme, you can also buy surround sound systems with enough power to shake your house. Your choice.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
When I do that with my old Zen music player, I have to turn the player's volume up to full to make the signal large enough for the speaker system to see it as "line level". then the speaker system's volume control has the right range.

ak