amplifer bridge

jaspalgarde

Joined Feb 9, 2014
Hey ur right, but if I do like this
1. 4 amp Ic in diffent metal box
2. I will be conneting ve side of output to one amp -ve side. And the -ve side of output to another amp so now from -ve of one amp having sound singal from ve and visi-varsa with another amp. Will It work.

And if it workd then there are 2 types of output from amp so the amps ve and -ve point can be shorted with another amp without distrotion. Will this work. Or amp will at risk.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I know what that will do.

KAPOW ! :D & Possibly BANG !! too

Well at least you will smoke if not above :D

Here is the real deal.
You can only bridge two.
Parallel connection is possible but dangerous if not properly matched.

Bridging to a 4Ω is dangerous as each amp will see 2Ω. If used, each amp must be 2Ω stable. Meaning you can bridge two identical amp to a 4Ω speaker if only each amp can handle a 2Ω load without a problem. And should be stable at it's maximum output level. If not stable one will blow sooner than you can go...hell, Yeah, I did. :p

That is why a bridge config can and should be run at 8Ω or 16Ω speaker loads. As Amps can be stable at 4 to 8Ω nominally.

Bridging will quadrangle power output. Meaning you can get 200W from two 50W amp.

Last edited:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Even bridging two amps is dangerous because you have the problem of equalizing the DC levels at the outputs or you must use capacitance coupling.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Even bridging two amps is dangerous because you have the problem of equalizing the DC levels at the outputs or you must use capacitance coupling.
If the amp is a direct drive output then DC offset is a concern whether it's one amp driving the speaker or two amplifiers driving in it a bridge configuration. Don't see that two amps makes it any worse.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Along with the speaker impedance, another limiting factor in power output when bridging a stereo power amp is the amps own power supply. If you are very lucky :), it will be designed to supply just enough current to run both amp channels simultaneously to full rated RMS power.

So typically you won't be able to get much more than the total rated wattage of the amp into a single speaker at an impedance of twice the minimum rated single-channel impedance.

And these days, many amplifier power supplies won't actually supply enough current to drive both channels simultaneous to full power.

Last edited: