amp volume control

Prince Imhotep

Joined Feb 9, 2014
No. Lowering the supply voltage does not turn the gain down. It just makes the amplifier start clipping the output.
This sounds reasonable, yet I like to try and make a circuit this way, just to play with the bread board. Is there a way to decrease the input voltage VCC from 100% to 0% using Triacs and/or Thyristors?

I've stumbled upon this page, while looking for more information about converting pots between linear and logarithmic; Tapered Potentiometer, and I don't understand the middle/third field, the one called "Taper (1% - 99%)", what does this value stand for in the circuit?
http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html

Prince Imhotep

Joined Feb 9, 2014
Yes, but it's easier to use a Variac.
I don't really trust electrical equipments that rely heavily on mechanical operation. Using a mechanical pot for my circuit isn't the ideal approach for me. But adding a digital pot would have increased the complexity of the circuit which I wanted to avoid.

So can you provide an example of a circuit that can reduce voltage from 100% to 0%, and completely depending on semiconductors, except for a single mechanical pot such as the one I'm using.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I wouldn't bother to design a fool proof method to repeatedly show your theory won't work. You only need one experimental proof that the math was right.

Prince Imhotep

Joined Feb 9, 2014
I finished the circuit. I tried both linear tapered, and regular log pots, I chose the regular one. I assembled the PCB, and currently in the housing phase.

Thanks for all the help.