amp tech

wayne thrush

Joined May 27, 2008
ive got a MB Quart QAA1000. it is a mono amp, and i would like to make it stereo. i have split amp stage, but cannot split pre-amp. anyone know where i can go to find out what i need to do? or have any answers? thanks in advance.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'd trade it in for a pair of smaller amps.

Either that, or buy another amp just like it.

However, having 2,000 Watts for an automotive stereo is rather ludicrous. Even at 1,000 Watts, you couldn't get near the maximum output without permanent hearing damage.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Why do you need 2000W? Is it to hear music while making a short stop? :D:D:D

Really, power is not synonym of quality. In fact, it is the opposite. Normally, loudspeakers that work with that much power are PA speakers, that is, they are designed to produce very intense sound, but not with very much fidelity.

Nevertheless, like SgtWookie said, two amps (one for each channel) should do the trick.

However, having 2,000 Watts for an automotive stereo is rather ludicrous. Even at 1,000 Watts, you couldn't get near the maximum output without permanent hearing damage.
Not even at 200W by my standards (unless it is a 78bD SPL speaker). But that's because I have a sensitive hearing. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

wayne thrush

Joined May 27, 2008
first f all, if you make a 1000W mono amp stereo, you would techincally cut it in half. therefore, it would be two channels at 500W. i pretty much know what to do, i was just hoping for an easier solution.... thanks for your time.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
No, That would only apply if the mono amp was a Bridged arangement..(a dual amp (stereo) with each half being driven in opposition ..one amp driving the +ve speaker terminal, the other driving the -ve) this arrangement actually give 4x the power of a single ended amp into the same speaker.

What you seem to be describing however, is a Mono Single ended amp, which is NOT (and never will be) a stereo amp no matter how much you "Split" it, or wave a wand over it.

A "Stereo" amp is 2 (two) Mono amps side by side in the same case.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
first f all, if you make a 1000W mono amp stereo, you would techincally cut it in half. therefore, it would be two channels at 500W. i pretty much know what to do, i was just hoping for an easier solution.... thanks for your time.
Stereo means two completely different channels. That is why you have to have two amps, one for each channel. If you drive two 500W sub-woofers (I presume), you still have a mono amp.

In a bridged amp, you would still need tow individual amps, since one signal must be the inverse of the other. I advice you to have caution, since some amps are not prepared to be bridged.