American English or British English

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I have heard both terms used, and would take them to mean the same thing. That said, I am not very knowledgeable in such matters. Since discussion of religion is not allowed on this forum, you might be better off asking a minister of religion (that is, a priest or pastor). Possibly you would get different answers from different denominations.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Wikipedia redirects Holy Ghost to Holy Spirit. It states that Holy Ghost is older english.
I got the feeling that Holy Spirit is AE (American English) and Holy Ghost is BE (British English) and Wikipedia is AE based that's why Holy Ghost redirects to Holy Spirit.

Like, overpass is AE and flyover is BE.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Most of the time I can understand American English, but until recently I though malt liquor meant some kind of spirit.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I got the feeling that Holy Spirit is AE (American English) and Holy Ghost is BE (British English) and Wikipedia is AE based that's why Holy Ghost redirects to Holy Spirit.

Like, overpass is AE and flyover is BE.
flyover in america is when you fly a plane over something (like a crowd) really fast really low.

We like fast, loud, big things over here :D

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
In this country we only have fly-pasts and fly-bys in that sense, perhaps because literally flying low over crowds is not permitted. Accidents at air shows in the last last century led to that. For example, on one occasion in 1952 an aircraft broke up in flight, and many spectators lost their lives as a result. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_Farnborough_Airshow_DH.110_crash

Not that it never happens unofficially - I was going to link to a couple of nice video examples, but the language content was not really suitable.

rogs

Joined Aug 28, 2009
Yeh -a 'fag' is a cigarette to us Brits!

The two different meanings for 'fanny' can cause problems here in the UK.

I remember once, many years ago, I was tech for a concert tour, given by an American organist here in the UK.
Had to stop him asking an audience of middle aged ladies if they were sat comfortably on their fannies.

Not a good thing to say, here in England!! (google 'fanny UK -fanny US' for details -if you need them! :))

rogs

Joined Aug 28, 2009
Let's try to remember that the OP on this thread is quite young, and choose our subject matter with that in mind.
If you were that concerned about the sensibilities of the OP, perhaps you should not have posted the link to the 'false friends' Wikipedea site, in your post #19?
That article describes exactly the analogy I mentioned in my specific anecdote, early on in the 'British and American English' comparisons.

As this was a humourous thread, which was clearly likely to include anecdotal evidence of the risqué comparisons in the use of English worldwide, I judged my inclusion based on the nature of previous posts.

You led, I followed.....

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
instead of saying out about and house, you say oat aboat and hoase and you pretty much have it. That's the English that I like.
The Formula One car races on TV are announced by Brits that have such extreme accents that most of the time I do not know what they are saying.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
If you were that concerned about the sensibilities of the OP, perhaps you should not have posted the link to the 'false friends' Wikipedea site, in your post #19?
That article describes exactly the analogy I mentioned in my specific anecdote, early on in the 'British and American English' comparisons.

As this was a humourous thread, which was clearly likely to include anecdotal evidence of the risqué comparisons in the use of English worldwide, I judged my inclusion based on the nature of previous posts.

You led, I followed.....
Yes, that was mistake on my part, that link should never have been posted. For what it's worth, I've deleted the reference.

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
At least the Brits agree with Americans on the use of decimal points. The use of a comma in place of a decimal point, as is done in some European countries, has the potential to create gigantic misunderstandings, and if I had my way, would be outlawed and punishable by exile to Siberia.

As for translations between the Queen's English and Americanese, it helps to remember that the statement "I am pissed" means one is pleasantly drunk to the British, but in American English, means one has lost their cool and is hopping mad.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I had the pleasure to meet a group of Brits dress to the nines
with white gloves ,strait backs with good posture.Proper english.
Will never forget the Queens men.Full regala Nothing to make fun of,you
have to live the experience. You have to be there.
I can hear your post from memory.