AMD Processor over temp

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Why is it a problem for these processors to run hot?

I regularly run the CPU in my HTPC at 75°C to keep cooling requirements down. It hasn't crashed, yet. And it is an AMD 64-bit 2.8 GHz processor, but don't ask me to quote the model, as it was a freebie.

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Why is it a problem for these processors to run hot?

I regularly run the CPU in my HTPC at 75°C to keep cooling requirements down. It hasn't crashed, yet. And it is an AMD 64-bit 2.8 GHz processor, but don't ask me to quote the model, as it was a freebie.
For few reasons really.
Mainly because the CPU's electrical characteristics change along w/ it's temp.
That is what causes the instability but that isn't the only issue,there is lifespan to consider.

Sure you may never have a crash w/ a overheated cpu but the question is how many days,weeks,months are being burned away prematurely.

Not all CPU are created equal, not even of the same brand,model,core some people will get lucky and get one that can handle higher temps and faster clock speeds.
While others will get a gimped unit that may not survive even the stated speeds/temps..luck of the draw.
Companies set a maximum speed/temp number based on a average over many tested units.

The PhenomII 965 BE the op has was built for OC,so it may take the abuse but then why risk it when 35$ worth of parts can give some assurance against possible disaster.

*on a side note,is the 2.8ghz amd you have a FX60 model?*

-luvv-

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
@android you should first get the power supply issues solved. Check the voltages with a multimiter and if you really have just 9V on a 12V rail change the power supply ASAP.
My current ATX is the replacement for my original ATX which died few months back. My case is from I-Ball & supply came along with the same. I'm really pissed off because of the lame quality they offered. On other forum too I received advice not to use ATX from I-Ball. The most important thing of any system-The power supply! is not worthy. I'll try to take some action soon.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
I am beginning to wonder the same thing. If you had it running at 80c for almost a week without any kind of thermal past to help dissipate the heat, there is a chance that you may have damaged something inside the processor.
Not for weeks buddy!:p I ran it for couple of months(playing Assassin's Creed-Brotherhood+lot of internet usage). Lucky my core didn't fried.

When you put your heat sink on you don't want to pull it off the CPU once you have pushed it down because that will create air pockets that can effect performance issues such as heat problems.
I did exact same thing to assure that TIM has reached each corner(Don't worry I didn't put too much TIM).

I always hate having things that don't work right, It is so frustrating. Wish I could just go right over and help you trouble shoot it. :(
Appreciate that:)

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
My current ATX is the replacement for my original ATX which died few months back. My case is from I-Ball & supply came along with the same. I'm really pissed off because of the lame quality they offered. On other forum too I received advice not to use ATX from I-Ball. The most important thing of any system-The power supply! is not worthy. I'll try to take some action soon.
This is the one i got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

62A 12v rail:eek:

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
Hello,

The dust can collect between the fins of the cooler and block the airflow.

Bertus
Exactly! I cleaned up pile of dust from there. My fingers gone black after cleaning that with brush:D. Fan performance improved dramatically.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
I had this problem with my overheating AMD processor, it would run for 5 minutes then crash Windows. I took out the heatsink and it was completely clogged with dust. I used a paint brush to get out the dust and it was then fine.
Did same thing yesterday. Improvement!

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Typical semiconductor lifespans for a complex processor are >2,000,000 hours @ 25°C

The Arrhenius activation law approximates a halving in lifespan for every 10°C increase, so at least 62,000 hours (7 years) can be expected at 75°C.

However you probably have a point about the electrical characteristics... many complex processors are only rated to 105°C or 85°C (sometimes lower...)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I've never "worn out" a processor by overclocking. By the time their expected life is up in a gaming machine (1 year, tops to keep up with increases in speed), That system is now a server, one of them is running from 2001 still, it only does mail.

The new AMD and Intel slow down their clock when they get hot as a fuse.

Video cards, on the other hand, I've gone through a lot. They aren't as robust as processors. I had a 9800GTX that lasted 3 weeks, even though I kept it under 100 deg C, nVidia replaced it, that replacement lasted 2 months, fried again, I upgraded, lasted 6 months... The 480s I have now have been going good for 6 months, but I'm pretty sure posting this will make one of them die soon. :eek:

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Typical semiconductor lifespans for a complex processor are >2,000,000 hours @ 25°C

The Arrhenius activation law approximates a halving in lifespan for every 10°C increase, so at least 62,000 hours (7 years) can be expected at 75°C.

However you probably have a point about the electrical characteristics... many complex processors are only rated to 105°C or 85°C (sometimes lower...)
Run your cpu 15 degrees over max for a prolonged amount of time and see if the LAW applies to you.;)
I myself know for me only one law applies and murphy made it so ill be running mine 20 below max just in case.

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
I've never "worn out" a processor by overclocking. By the time their expected life is up in a gaming machine (1 year, tops to keep up with increases in speed), That system is now a server, one of them is running from 2001 still, it only does mail.

The new AMD and Intel slow down their clock when they get hot as a fuse.

Video cards, on the other hand, I've gone through a lot. They aren't as robust as processors. I had a 9800GTX that lasted 3 weeks, even though I kept it under 100 deg C, nVidia replaced it, that replacement lasted 2 months, fried again, I upgraded, lasted 6 months... The 480s I have now have been going good for 6 months, but I'm pretty sure posting this will make one of them die soon. :eek:
I guess i shouldn't have answered the question that way.

Why you shouldn't run your cpu 10-15 over max, because AMD say's so they make/test the things by the thousands i think ill trust there opinion.

But in the interest of a more descriptive post i went w/ what i have seen across the net over the years..it can be summed up by a cavemen as HEAT BAD!

Myself i have never had to OC this CPU 3.4 is plenty fast enough..i bump ram a lil and im happy..but then im not big gamer either.

I do mainly video encoding and compression and w/ this cpu and and 16 gb of ram..no issues w/ temp or performance.

-luvv-

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Heat is the ultimate killer of hard drives. I always add one or two 5.25" fans at the front of the mini-towers to get enough air over the drives. Running a GPU and CPU hot do not help the internal temp at all. I've found that keeping drives cool, near room temp, helps them last over the 3 year design lifespan.

When they do finally die, putting in the freezer overnight and trying again the next day will often get your data back.

External HDD enclosures tend to kill drives within 2 years, they need to start adding fans.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
Agreed with 'heat' consequences. TIM(Thermal Conductivity>1.22W/m.k, Thermal resistance<0.201C-in2/W) reapplied and cleaned pile of dust from below stock cooler fins. Now idle temp is 50C. And I've read it will be in mid fifties at full load.