Amazon On 60 Miniutes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by loosewire, Dec 2, 2013.

1. loosewire

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Did you see the new business model for drone delivery of packages. They

have applied for F.C.C. authority to have air space for package delivery

and more secret stuff. You need to watch that program and read between

the lines how might benefit from what happening and things to come.

It show there systems that they are already using.

2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    My take is that it is a publicity stunt. The technology isn't there yet, nor is the regulation.

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I can see them being shot down by UPS, Fedex et al. :p
    Max.

4. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    It is the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), not the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), that has to come up with new regulations for drones. As a pilot, and a Ham, I am subject to regulation by both...

As a pilot, I do not want to encounter somebody's drone flying around. The regulation that will soon be promulgated will likely include a provision that a drone must always be in sight of the operator (no totally autonomous drones).

5. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Amazon isn't the first. A drone delivering tacos in San Francisco was recently stopped. Zookal and Flirtey deliver textbooks in Australia legally. On the other side, the Chinese shot down a drone delivering cake.

I found links to these stories while watching 60 Minutes, before the Bezoz announcement went viral.

6. loosewire

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    This guy is not going to lay all his cards on the table ,that why I say read between the

lines. The F.A.A. ,he can get the rights for abuse of rights. With his set up and

his very large computer cloud. There no cloud ,they are recording every thing and

storing the information ,communication....bell labs..old money.....oil and electric

power. All this time we were thinking all this information on a c.d. ,then we find

out about these hugh information centers with a/c....someone has to pay for all

this.Sell our private information to the highest bidder...it all about money and power.

7. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    "Sell our private information to the highest bidder...it all about money and power."

Also, cop shops across the Country are gnawing at the bit, to get the smaller military Drones; so they can spy on anybody at any time.

Bidding wars, all the time.

Americans, will never stand as ONE; to stop this aggression.

The majority, do not care.

Until it's too late.

8. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    It's going to be fun swatting those things down with a yard rake mounted to a long pole!

9. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    The current rules don't require that. They used to (but I've heard that it was relaxed, though I can't confirm it) have to be excorted by a chase aircraft when flying through congested airspace or over populations above a certain density. Civil Air Patrol used to (and still may) fly a lot of those chase missions for military drones. I don't know if they would get involved in flying chase for civilian drones -- it would be a natural and very cost effective fit, but there are legal issues involved.

10. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Yeah. One of the systems they are already using is to illegally charge me sales tax on internet sales. They also offer "free shipping" then it is nowhere to be found at checkout. I typically beat Amazon prices all the time now.

I had to laugh when the Amazon CEO said he wouldn't raise prices because of the "trust between him and his customers"... he can't raise prices because everybody is kicking his ass on prices.

I went to buy the full box set of Downton Abbey DVDs and priced them lower at four other places. I actually got them about $10 cheaper here in town at Best Buy.