Amazing Music Maker

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tracecom, Dec 22, 2011.

1. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I received a tin of popcorn today. Packaged with it was a greeting card. Inside the greeting card was the assembly shown below, which played a song that was loud and clear. The whole thing - tin, three flavors of popcorn, and greeting card - retailed for less than $5. If I wanted to duplicate the music assembly, it would be at least twice as big and I have no idea how much it would cost. Even accounting for economies of scale, that's quite amazing to me.

Of course, the quarter in the picture wasn't included, and there's a story there as well.

2. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    You can get recordable COB audio players like the one in your card quite inexpensively
  3. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    You or I can order the same thing from China if we pay for a few tens of thousands of them at $2.00 each. They can play any sounds you want.
  4. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    I've seen PIC 10F series chips (6 pin SMD) available in bulk for 10 cents each, they just need a battery and a pushbutton, and will drive a little piezo speaker or magnetic speaker like that one, and obviously can be programmed to play a simple tune.

Actually that might be exactly what is under that black blob on your PCB. :)