Amazing Airbus landing

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
By whom? The passengers? Surely wouldn't cast my vote if I were on that plane. Take me to the nearest airstrip that's into the wind.
I suppose a quick passenger opinion poll could be held as the pilot-in-command configures for final approach fifteen miles out. Flight attendants could submit the findings to the captain even after landing gear has been lowered with flaps at 15.

Obviously, in my capacity as an avid flight sim enthusiast who has never set foot on a real flight deck, I would demand the right to vote twice on whether to crab her in and either go for broke, go around, or abort and follow ATC vectors to nearest alternate airport.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
At least their wing tips didn't look like they scraped the runway. I was flying MAC back to duty at the last island in the aleutian chain. The KC-135 tanker, which was delayed three days for various problems, waddled down the runway on it's third attempt to land ... due to crosswinds ... at Shemya, an island 40 mile east of my destination. MAC didn't fly all the way to my unit, so I caught the next flight that did go to my destination. From the inside of the plane ... we would raise and fall quite a few feet. Some people pay good money for a ride like that in an amusement park, but, in an aircraft ... naw. The other flight I took where we dropped a couple of hundred feet suddenly, was from Hyannis to Nantucket on a 10 or so passenger commuter plane. Again, I told the passengers within earshot, "you'd pay money and enjoy that at an amusement park."

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Clearly the pilots are the experts here.

It may look really amazing and scary, but crosswind landings are fairly normal.

I'd much rather put my life into the hands of a trained pilot, than the votes of a couple of hundred 'average joes'.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Clearly the pilots are the experts here.

It may look really amazing and scary, but crosswind landings are fairly normal.

I'd much rather put my life into the hands of a trained pilot, than the votes of a couple of hundred 'average joes'.
We'll not russian pilots.... :(

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Pretty much, but I think you are mistaking basic national arrogance for something else. In the USA most airline pilots are ex military, I can't speak for other countries. Military types get the hours in the air, and hopefully have the "Right Stuff".

Still, I would rather have an American pilot because I know they are well screened. I can't help but think of a certain cruise ship in the not so far off past.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
How are Russian pilots any less professional than other pilots?

Is McCarthyism still rife in the grand US of A?
The past couple year numerous russian planes have gone down killing polands president, a pro hockey team, and more. Its blamed on untrained pilots and maintenance. But most of the crashes are blamed on pilot error. Its becoming quite a trend. Just google russian plane crash and whats the pages light up. Its got nothing to do with me not liking russians, I love russians. But their airfleet has taken a hell of a beating the past couple years in many high profile crashes.UTAIR is one of the most recent I think.
These are the 3 high profile ones
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/russia-plane-crash-in-siberia-kills-32-on-board/244881-11.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/03/w...crash-that-killed-russian-hockey-players.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/11/world/europe/11poland.html?pagewanted=all

Heres a list of the past couple years.
http://www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/fsu.htm

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Why don't they have a runway in the right direction? Landings like that are SOP for small single landing strip runways but large airports have runways in every which direction for such problems.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Why don't they have a runway in the right direction? Landings like that are SOP for small single landing strip runways but large airports have runways in every which direction for such problems.
Some do, some don't. Every airport is different. Some major airports only have 1 or 2 runways. The exception being Memphis airport for fexex hub. Thats amazing if you've never seen it. 300-400 767's all parked in the morning ready to take off for that night. I watched a show on how Fedex does 24 hour service world wide and memphisis actually the only place in the country you can actually deliver 24 hour to everywhere. So all fed ex jets come into memphis each night, unload, then sort, the reload and take back off to the destination. They also send up 20 extra 767's for extra cargo when needed. They're all just flying circular patterns waiting to hear where they are needed that night, then they make a B-line for which ever flight is overloaded and pick up all the exta's and follow the original flight. Its quite amazing. They attached a camera to the package and shipped it 24hours from shanghai to NY. Followed it in the plane, sorting, everything even the truck for pick up and deliver. I highly recommend catching this program.