Amateur Electronics Magazines

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dawud Beale, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Hi everyone

I was looking to get into amateur electronics to supplement my studies, and have got some equipment and booklets from maplins. One of the books says you can get magazines that contains various circuits and PCB's and things in them.

I couldnt find any magazines so wondered if anyone knew of any in the UK available at Smiths or a highstreet store or available to buy via the web?

2. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Nuts and Volts
    Circuit Cellar
    Elektor

These are the three that I know about in the US. They are listed in order of complexity. Nuts and Volts is available on-line.

3. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
    OK thankyou I'll check them out to see if they are available in the UK

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
  5. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    Aother one would be Makezine. Although they are not strictly electronics.

6. Mickster

Jan 10, 2010
    Elektor is also sold in the UK.

7. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  8. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi,

I really recommend Everyday Practical Electronics, you can find them in the slightly bigger Smiths around the country. But you have to look hard for them - quite often the electronics/radio magazines are tucked under the shelves on the low level. :)

Elektor is pretty cool - it even has a special article at the moment which covers electronics right from the start.

I've got a subscription to Elektor - and although it's a bit pricey, it does have some really good deals and bargains on kits, books, DVDs, etc.

Sparky

9. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    There used to be many more electronics magazines - even Maplin themselves produced one for a while.

Demand has fallen and prices risen.

However you can still obtain older mags in charity shops and *bay, at reasonable prices.

Here is a list of some dead and gone

Electronics Today International (ETI)
    Electronics - The Maplin magazine
    Popular Mechanics (USA) yes mechanics
    Popular Electronics
    Audio Amateur (USA)
    Wireless World, Later Electronics and Wireless World and last Electronics World.
    Radio Constructor

Libraries, especially college libraries used to hold sets of some of these, particular Wireless World.