AMA Issues Health Warning on Led Lighting

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I hate the damn things. They are too bright and the light completely wipes out my nightvision by causing vivid color background vision at night.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Who wrote that crap? "Unseen blue light"? If you can't see it, it ain't BLUE!

Are they implying a content of UV light? I don't think so.

And while I'm ranting: Does anyone know whether the health effects are due to the spectrum of light one sees, the relative amounts of the various wavelengths, or the total exposure to blue? I mean, a brighter "yellow" light might expose you to more blue light overall than a dimmer but bluer light. Which matters more?

Last edited:

SuperWiener

Joined Sep 21, 2016
Instead of sun glasses.........led glasses perhaps.
I already have a pair of those! http://www.crizalprevencia.com/
Don't ask me if they actually work or are just snake oil as I wouldn't be able to tell you. My ophthalmologist seemed to believe they offer an aditional layer of protection and since my job consists in staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day I trusted his judgement.

And while I'm ranting: Does anyone know whether the health effects are due to the spectrum of light one sees, the relative amounts of the various wavelengths, or the total exposure to blue? I mean, a brighter "yellow" light might expose you to more blue light overall than a dimmer but bluer light. Which matters more?
I would probably go for the total exposure to the blue component of the light right? From the article 'DickCappels' linked «Blue light is an important element in “natural” lighting, and it may also contribute to psychological health. Research, however, shows that high illumination levels of blue light can be toxic to cellular structures, test animals, and human fetal retinas."». I think we can extrapolate that to: decompoze the light -> high amplitude in its blue component = bad.