AM radio component kit

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by takao21203, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. takao21203

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Going to sell this kit soon in small numbers.

It includes:

Variable capacitor
    Ferrite loopstick + wire
    20K potentiometer
    AA battery holder
    TA7642 ICs
    100 Ohms speaker
    Switches

Price will be relatively low cost. I was thinking maybe $6 or so.
    There are still some parts missing, resistors and capacitors but these are commonplace.
    Should I include them? I think for 100 Ohms speaker, a seperate transistor as well 9v supply are required.

There are cheap chinese radios from which you could get all these parts and even more.
    There are even complete kits with TOKO filters and plastic case, also very low price.

If you order all these parts yourself, you end up with more than you need, some are difficult to find or cost a lot (like the adjustable capacitor).

The capacitor is only 140pF so the idea is to switch another capacitor in parallel for the lower frequency stations. Tested the wire its well suited for the ferrite loopstick, at least 80 turns would fit easily.

Metalmann likes this.
  2. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012

Are you putting these kits on Ebay?

I've always wanted to build an AM radio from a complete kit.

I did the crystal set in the late Fifty's, but never an AM or FM.

3. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    they are on ebay now, already sold a few.
    Note there are still some small resistors and capacitors required but they are common.

4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    My gut feel is that to maximize your sales potential, you really need to have the kit be complete. If someone is going to have to cannibalize some cheap radio to get the parts that are missing, then someone willing/capable of doing that probably doesn't need your kit of parts at all in the first place.

You need to spend some time deciding who your primary target market is (if you haven't already) and determining what they will want out of a kit. Do they just want a bag of parts? Do they want a bag of parts and a schematic? Do they want step-by-step assembly instructions? Are they going to be satisfied with having a radio that works that they can point to and say that they built it, even if they don't have a clue how it works? Or are they going to what a sufficiently details theory of operation so that they can point to it and not only say that they built it but explain how it works and what each component does? What is the age and education level of the target market?

5. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks for your criticism/advice.

Its too much effort for now to include a set of small resistors and capacitors. I do have some on request.
    Also, I will offer other radio kits soon- with more parts, and circuit board.

Some actually already sold.

6. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    Actually, I have 2 kinds chinese AM radio kits here now. Got the second kind just now.
    They are similar, the second kind plastic shell has a red plastic shell with a seabird gravure,
    and SHANGHAI CHINA embossed in the plastic, the other one is gray,
    and doesnt have a gravure or embossing.

The circuit is good, the technical sheet not english but I'm getting help for translation.
    The circuit was designed and tested by serious engineers.

it contains 4 IF cans, a PCB, the usual capacitor+loopstick, speaker, output transformer, all the small parts, and a plastic shell too.

Its similar to these japanese radios which were sold in the 1960s and 1970s- just for DIY.

I will be providing english language PDF in a short while.

Metalmann likes this.
  7. 1tormod

Oct 27, 2009
    This seems like very good value to me. I,m busy repairing old RAF radar sets at the moment, so probably a wee bit elementary for me but for someone setting out it would be an excellent starting point. I wish you the best of luck.
    Regards,
    Norrie

8. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    it seems to be buyers are able to get a long with the chinese schematic nobody asked for further instruction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.